Spring 2021 Pass/Fail Option (deadline May 28, 2021)
Are you concerned about a grade you earned this semester? Are you thinking about asking for a change from a letter grade to pass/fail grading in one or more of your classes?
HOW PASS/FAIL OPTION WORKS:
The purpose of pass/fail grading is to encourage students to broaden their educational experience with a reduced risk of lowering their overall grade point average.
The instructor will assign pass grades of H (high performance) or P (pass) when a letter grade of C- or better would have been assigned and a grade of LP (low pass) when the letter grade would have been D+, D, or D-.
Grades of F and L earned under pass/fail grading will be included as an F grade in the grade point average calculation. Grades of H, P, or LP are not included in the grade point average calculation.
CORE CURRICULUM: Courses completed with a LP (low pass), P (pass), or H (high pass grade will satisfy Core Curriculum requirements.
MAJORS/MINORS: Courses taken Pass/Fail will not satisfy major or minor requirements except in the following programs:
Honors: Courses completed with a LP (Low Pass), P (Pass), or H (High Pass grade will satisfy Honors requirements.
Physics: Courses completed with a LP (Low Pass), P (Pass), or H (High Pass) grade will satisfy Physics requirements.
Psychology: Courses completed with a P (Pass) or H (High Pass) will satisfy Psychology requirements.
Social Work: Courses completed with P (Pass) and HP (High Pass) grades will satisfy requirements in the BSW and MSW degrees.
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
After grades are posted, if you would like to request a change to pass/fail grading, please follow these steps:
- Wait to see your final grade. No changes to pass/fail grading will be made until after final grades have been posted; this way you can be sure of your final grade before you request a change to pass/fail.
- Connect with your faculty or professional advisor (find their names in Mainstreet) to discuss classes you are considering for pass/fail grading. Your advisor will help you make this decision. Plan ahead and be patient. Advisors are busy and may not be able to respond to you right away.
- Send an Email: If you decide to elect the Pass/Fail option, you must send an email following these instructions.
- Email the professor of the course(s), the advisor you met with, and the registrar, email@example.com.
- In the subject line of your email, put P/F option and list the class.
- P/F Option COR 123 The Joy & Power of Learning
- In the email itself, write your request.
- You may simply say,
“Dear Professor, I have decided to choose pass/fail grading for your class. My advisor and the Registrar are cc’d in this email. Thank you.”
- Meet the Deadline: You must send this email by May 28, 2021.