- B.A. Journalism, University of Maine, 2016
- Certificate, Summer Intensive in Digital Skills, CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, 2015
Alan graduated summa cum laude from the University of Maine in May 2016 with a B.A. in Journalism and Honors. Alan began working as a reporter for The Journal Tribune in Biddeford, Maine, covering local news in Biddeford, Arundel, Kennebunk and Kennebunkport, Wells and Ogunquit for more than a year following graduation. He previously wrote the popular food column, "Extra! Extra! Eat All About It," published in the weekend edition of The Journal each Saturday.
In his role as Digital & Social Media Specialist, Alan oversees the day-to-day operations of the University of Southern Maine’s official social media accounts, as well as production of the University’s monthly television show, “The USM Update,” which airs on community access stations across Maine. Other responsibilities include creating engaging content for web and social media, maintaining accurate social media branding consistent with USM’s brand standards, and producing photo and video content for official USM news stories.
Areas of Expertise
Print and Multimedia Journalism
Food Studies, specifically food access, insecurity, and the media's role in portraying issues of obesity
Photography/Videography and Digital Editing
- In Fatter News: Identifying and Evaluating Framing of Obesity and Obesity-Related News Coverage in Maine, National Collegiate Honors Council annual conference, Chicago, November 2015
- Making Big Plans: Building a Sustainable Food Systems Collaborative Through Courses, Research and Community Engagement, National Collegiate Honors Council annual conference, Chicago, November 2015
Awards and Recognition
Senior Recognition Award, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Maine, May 2016
- The Journal Tribune website.
- Honors Undergraduate Thesis: "Extra! Extra! This Just Thin: Identifying and Evaluating Framing of Obesity-Related News Coverage in Maine"