Housing has become available in close proximity to the University of Southern Maine's Portland campus, thanks to a collaborative effort between USM and Avesta Housing to bring affordable housing to the area.
Five houses in the area of Deering and Chamberlain avenues have been renovated by Avesta and are now available for rent. Previously, the houses were used as USM offices.
USM leased the houses to Avesta last year for several reasons, including reducing energy costs, USM President Glenn Cummings said in an email Nov. 20.
Students seeking apartments may find the multi-bedroom apartment listings on Craigslist:
- 209 Deering Ave. (4-bedroom, $2150)
- 1 Chamberlain Ave. (3-bedroom, $1750)
- 11 Chamberlain Ave. (3-bedroom, $1850)
- 15 Chamberlain Ave. (4-bedroom, $2050)
- 19 Chamberlain Ave. (3-bedroom, $1850)