All university-affiliated social media accounts must be approved by the Office of Public Affairs. Requests for university social media accounts must be submitted in writing to the Office of Public Affairs prior to account creation using the form below.
Prior to creating an account, all potential account administrators must:
- Read the Social Media Compliance Policy in full; and
- Meet with the university’s social media manager to discuss social media goals, strategy, branding and the setup process
Additionally, if you wish to establish a USM-affiliated social media account, first ask yourself these questions:
- What will I post? Effective social media relies on stories and ideas that are unique, engaging and visual.
- What and who is my audience? Who you intend to engage with your content ultimately determines whether or not a social media account is right for you. Social media is public; if you intend to communicate with an internal audience, consider an alternative mode of communication.
- How comfortable am I engaging with the public? Social media is a form of two-way communication. Administrators/editors must be comfortable answering questions and responding to comments in a public forum. You must also be prepared to manage negative comments or deal with a crisis, should one arise.
- Do I have the time to do this well? Social media management is time-consuming work. The Office of Public Affairs monitors the university’s accounts several times each hour, and sometimes outside normal work hours. Social (and all digital) media are rapidly evolving and must be updated frequently — this goes beyond just posting to the account; it includes responding to comments, answering questions and contacting with communicators across the university.
For more information about social media at the University of Southern Maine, please refer to the Social Media Toolkit.