"The USM Update" is a monthly, half-hour program covering all things about the University of Southern Maine — from groundbreaking research to multicultural initiatives, workforce development and more — hosted by University President Glenn Cummings during the academic year. New episodes air on the first Monday of each month at 8:30 p.m. on the Portland-based Community Television Network (CTN) on channel 5.
"The USM Update" is produced by the USM Office of Public Affairs in partnership with CTN and the USM Communication and Media Studies Department. Visit USM's YouTube page to view individual segments of "The USM Update" and more content produced by the Office of Public Affairs.
In the fourth episode of "The USM Update" 2017-2018 season, USM President Glenn Cummings sits down with Dr. Karen Wilson and her students as they discuss aquaponics research being done at USM (1:20). We also hear from Dr. Richard Bilodeau, lecturer in entrepreneurship, about the ways in which the USM School of Business prepares students for today's changing business climate (12:42). Lastly, we enjoy the sounds of the holiday season, as the USM School of Music Chamber Singers perform selects from their Nov. 28, 2017 concert, "Joyous Sounds for a Festive Season" (21:55).
In the third episode of the second season of "The USM Update," USM President Glenn Cummings speaks with Trae Blanco, USM director of bands, and two of his instrumental students about the work being done at the School of Music at the University of Southern Maine and what the School has in store for concertgoers this year (1:15). Cummings also sits down with Corey Hascall, director of alumni engagement and annual giving, to talk about USM's 'Dare to Dream' campaign, which seeks to raise $100,000 in scholarship money by Nov. 15, which will be matched up to $100,000 by the University (11:28). Finally, we hear from Laurie Davis, executive director of TRIO programs and Upward Bound at USM, about the ways in which people from diverse or disadvantaged backgrounds are being supported in Southern Maine (21:35).
In the second episode of the 2017-2018 season of "The USM Update," USM President Glenn Cummings sits down with Danielle Conway, dean and professor of the University of Maine School of Law, to discuss the school's integral role in educating Maine's future lawyers (1:27). Cummings also talks with Naamah Jarnot, USM's coordinator of tutoring services, and a few student tutors to discuss the university's Learning Commons and its place on USM's campuses (10:40). We also hear from Anila Karunakar, coordinator for multicultural student life, about the Multicultural Student Center's importance on USM's Portland Campus and what it has in store for the coming year (19:05).
In the first episode of "The USM Update" of the 2017-2018 academic year, USM President Glenn Cummings sits down with Ainsley Wallace, USM's vice president of corporate engagement, to talk about corporate partnerships and USM's Career & Employment Hub (0:34); Maine Law Dean Danielle Conway to talk about the university's upcoming Convocation, "Race and Participatory Democracy (9:45);" and USM Director of Honors Rebecca Nisetich to talk about the USM Honors Abroad program, which allows USM Honors students to study in Iceland over the summer (20:41).
- On the season finale of "The USM Update," learn why "Thinking Matters" at USM, hear about journalism across the generations with alumnus Neil Genzlinger '77 of "The New York Times" and Krysteana Scribner, [now former] editor-in-chief of the USM Free Press, and get an update on the master plan process for all three campuses.
- On the April episode of "The USM Update," get an update on the University of Southern Maine's (USM) sustainability efforts and learn how USM students are being prepared to tackle the environmental challenges facing the planet. Also, hear how USM is preparing its educators to adapt to the changing demographics in Maine's classrooms. Plus, a discussion on the findings of the first in-depth analysis of Maine's juvenile records system.
- On the March episode of "The USM Update," learn about a first-of-its-kind trip to Cuba for the UMaine System, celebrate 50 years of women's athletics at USM and hear from a group of Engineering students who provided hot water to a Guatemalan orphanage.
- Take a walk down "Avenue Q," head to South Africa to learn about "The Montagu Project" and hear a performance from the USM Chamber Singers on the December episode of "The USM Update" with University of Southern Maine President Glenn Cummings.
- On the November episode of "The USM Update," University of Southern Maine (USM) President Glenn Cummings welcomes senior student veteran Seth Adams and Lorrie Spaulding, Coordinator of USM Veterans Services, to learn how the Veterans Services Office puts student veterans on the path to academic success.
- On the October episode of "The USM Update," University of Southern Maine (USM) President Glenn Cummings welcomes Rebecca Nisetich, Director of the USM Honors Program, and Honors students Leah Dell and Fazil Shaikh. The group discusses the program's growth and the opportunities it affords USM students.
- On the first episode of "The USM Update," University of Southern Maine President Glenn Cummings welcomes Nancy Griffin, Vice President for Enrollment Management, to discuss some of the university's successes over the last calendar year. Plus, catch up with Kyle Raynor '12, graduate of the Sport Management major and Premium Account Executive with the Boston Red Sox. Learn all about the Sport Management major, and hear how local connections helped land Kyle his dream job in the big leagues. Also, take a look at Welcome Weekend 2016 and get an inside look at some of our new student support services on the Portland campus.