1. I would just like to take a class, what should I do?
USM welcomes all learners! If you have never taken a class at USM before, please contact us at 207-780-5230 or 1-800-800-4usm ext. 5541. We will create a record for you in our system which will allow you to register for classes during the open registration period.
2. How would I go about registering for a class?
There are multiple ways to register.
- By phone: call USM Registration Services at 207-780-5230
- In person: visit Registration Services in 107 Bailey Hall, Gorham campus or stop by one of the USM Advising Centers:
- 119 Payson Smith Hall, Portland
- 119 Bailey Hall, Gorham
- Room 119, Lewiston-Auburn College
3. What classes are offered at USM?
You can search for classes from the comfort of home via USM’s class search on MaineStreet.
4. What if I have questions on what classes I can take at USM?
Give us a call! Academic advising is available with the Advising Office, please call (207) 780-4040, 1-800-800-4USM ext. 4040.
5. When can I register for a class?
Open registration for all students begins just after the priority registration period for current (matriculated) students. The start of open registration for each term are roughly as follows:
- Fall semester -- late April
- Winter Session -- late September
- Spring semester -- late November
- Summer Session -- early March
Registration continues through the start of a given term on a space available basis.
6. I’ve completed my classes, how do I find my grades?
You can view your grades by logging on to MaineStreet, clicking on Student Self-Service>> Student Center>>under Academics, select Grades. You may also request a transcript at any time.
7. I received my grades, but what is an “MG”?
An “MG” is a missing grade which happens when the instructor has not submitted grades for the class. Once the instructor submits the grade sheet, your record will be updated to reflect the final grade.