Pop-Up Courses are dynamic, short-term classes. Lasting one day, one weekend, or just a few weeks, these experiential courses bring students and faculty together to explore new ideas and different approaches to the critical issues of our time.
What You’ll Do in a Pop-Up Course
- Examine events that impact us locally, regionally, nationally, or internationally.
- Discuss questions of cultural, political, or social significance.
- Meet in non-traditional settings and sometimes attend campus events, conferences, or community activities.
- Connect with students and faculty from other majors who have similar interests.
About Pop-Up Courses
- Enrollment: Pop-Up Courses are offered to both part-time and full-time undergraduate students. You do not need to be a matriculated student to enroll in a Pop-Up Course.
- Cost: In order to register for a Pop-Up Course, you must pay the 1-credit tuition and any associated fees. For more information, contact Student Financial Services.
- Credits: All Pop-Up Courses offer (1) credit.
- Grading: Pop-Up Courses are graded as pass-fail.
Register for a Pop-Up Course
You can register for a Pop-Up Course in the same way that you register for other courses. For instructions, visit How to Register.
Search for Pop-Up Courses
There are two ways to find the Pop-Up Courses that are being offered:
- Option 1: Use the Course Search tool — Enter ‘POP into the Search field.
- Option 2: Use the MaineStreet Class Search tool — Enter ‘POP’ into the Subject field.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t see an answer to your question below, please contact your Professional Advisor or your Faculty Advisor.
Why should I take a Pop-Up Course?
- These courses offer an opportunity to delve into timely topics of cultural, political, or social significance. You’ll also have a chance to connect with like-minded peers, and to meet with faculty in a less formal setting than traditional courses.
- If you successfully complete the course, you’ll earn 1 undergraduate credit.
- If you have dropped a class or have fallen below the minimum credits-per-semester for financial aid eligibility, a Pop-Up Course offers the opportunity to maintain progress toward your degree and potentially to access financial aid. For more information, contact Student Financial Services.
Do Pop-Up Courses satisfy credit requirements for my major?
- Pop-Up Courses usually count as a general elective credit unless a major has specifically designated it as a requirement. For more information, contact your Professional Advisor or Faculty Advisor.
I’m really busy this semester. How do I know if I’ll have time to complete the course?
- You’ll need to dedicate between 35-40 hours of your time — including class meetings and assignments — to complete a 1-credit Pop-Up Course.
What if I change my mind? How do I withdraw or drop the course?
- The deadline to withdraw from a Pop-Up Course varies depending on the timeframe of the course. When considering dropping or withdrawing from a course, students can find the specific deadlines by accessing the calendar icon next to each course on their class schedule in the MaineStreet Student Center.
Can I enroll in more than one Pop-Up Course?
- You may enroll in up to three (3) Pop-Up Courses over the course of your studies at the University.