MEIF @ USM provides financial support to faculty and professional staff to undertake strategic initiatives that: address challenges identified by businesses and industries in the MEIF target areas; support multidisciplinary groups of faculty, staff, students, and external partners that bring about innovative solutions; achieve one or more outcomes identified in the MEIF @ USM Strategic Framework; and leverage external support to sustain innovation. The MEIF target areas are:
- Aquaculture and marine technology
- Composite materials technology
- Environmental technology
- Advanced technologies for forestry and agriculture
- Information technology
- Precision manufacturing technology
On a case-by-case basis and dependent on availability of MEIF funds, MEIF @ USM also supports:
- Internship programs and the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP)
- Graduate research assistantships and requests for small research equipment
- Course release to lay the groundwork for the submission of successful proposals for extramural funding from federal, foundations, or other research sponsors
- Requests for matching funds required in proposals for extramural funding
The MEIF @ USM’s procedures for selecting, developing, and reviewing proposals for strategic initiativesare identified in MEIF @ USM Procedures for Selecting Strategic Investments.
MEIF @ USM Award Policies outline applicant eligibility, the eligible and ineligible uses of MEIF Funds, and other award policies. Learn more about MEIF @ USM Award Policies here.
The MEIF @ USM Strategic Framework delineates the major activities, internal/external outcomes, data collection points, and impact goals in the areas of research and workforce development. Read the MEIF @ USM Strategic Framework here.