UPDATE 4/8: Please see below for important updates to summer housing.
Due to all USM classes moving to online learning, on campus housing for the summer is available only to USM students with extenuating circumstances. Students may still complete the summer housing application, which includes a new section to provide their circumstances and rationale for needing summer housing. Residential Life will then rigorously review the circumstances with the student. Applications may be denied, approved, or approved for a later arrival date. Enrollment in summer courses will be weighed heavily when considering housing requests.
If you have already applied for summer housing prior to this change, please log in and update your summer housing application. Our office will be reaching out to prior applicants with instructions to do this as soon as possible.
Summer residents will be required at check-in to sign and agree to interim community standards until such time these rules can be relaxed. Please review these requirements before applying for housing, as they may impact your decision to apply. Students coming from out of state will be required to self-quarantine for two weeks if the directive from Governor Janet Mills is still in effect.
Non-enrolled students or graduating seniors are not eligible for summer housing.
You may find the summer housing application on your MyUSM campus portal (https://my.usm.maine.edu) and choose USM Quick Links on the left. Click on "Residential Life and Housing Portal" and then select "Summer Housing Application".
Housing on the Gorham campus in Upperclass Hall features:
Air conditioned 4-person single apartments, 4-person double suites, and a few 4-person double apartments (double apartments are billed at the suite rate).
Events and activities organized by your hall staff
All-inclusive price includes furnished rooms, internet, streaming TV service, electricity, hot water
Patio, rec room, music practice rooms, a building common kitchen for suite residents, and study lounges
- Electronic ID access to the building and rooms
- Option to continue your stay through the gap between summer and fall (only for USM students staying for the full summer who also have an active USM fall housing assignment)
Questions? Contact us: 207-780-5240 / firstname.lastname@example.org / 125 Upton Hall, Gorham
USM Full Summer 2020 rate
4-person single apartment
4-person double apartment
Cancellation and refund policy:
* Cancellation in writing to email@example.com prior to check-in date: 100% refund
* Cancellation in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org after arrival and check-in: room rate will be pro-rated based on date of official check-out and confirmation from hall staff that room has been vacated and cleaned.
Assignment confirmation and balance due amount will be e-mailed to you. Any past due balance on a University account must be cleared before an assignment is made.
Payment in full is due prior to moving into the residence hall if your stay is less than the full summer session.
A three-payment plan option, with an enrollment deadline of May 15, 2020, may be available for those USM students planning to live in housing for the full summer. Contact Student Financial Services at email@example.com to set up this payment plan. Contact them to discuss your payment plan options if you are assigned to housing after May 15th.
The details on the optional gap stay (3 scenarios):
1. Full summer USM students staying for the full summer until August 21, who have a fall 2020 room assignment at USM and are registered for USM fall classes, may move into their fall room assignment at the end of summer session and stay through the gap period between the end of summer term and the start of fall term at no additional charge.
2. Other USM summer students wishing to stay for the gap from August 21 - August 30 must have summer booking dates beginning by July 4 or earlier, must be continuing in summer housing for the remainder of the summer session, and must have a fall room assignment at USM. An additional $140.00 charge will be applied to the student’s account for the gap period.
3. Students without a fall room assignment and/or who move in to summer housing after July 5 are ineligible to live on campus for the gap period from August 21-August 30 and must move out at the end of summer session or by their indicated check out date, whichever is earlier.
Non-USM students with local internships:
After serious thought and deliberation, and in response to the still unfolding Covid-19 pandemic, USM has made the decision to cancel summer intern housing for this year.
We do not make this decision lightly, as we know it impacts both students and employers. Public health and safety is at the forefront of our thoughts, and so we act out of an abundance of caution. In addition, we want to provide a robust and engaging summer experience for our guests, and sadly would not be able to fulfill that promise at this time.
We know this is difficult. We look forward to welcoming student interns to campus next summer.