One of the many challenges adults face as they return to college is financing their education. The University of Maine System (UMS) has a new Adult Degree Completion Scholarship fund helping Maine residents complete their academic studies—which may have begun years ago, but were not completed for some reason.
These funds are dedicated to support adult students returning to college after an absence of at least two (2) years or more and who are completing their very first associates or baccalaureate degree. Applicants may qualify for up to $4,000 per academic year for up to 8 consecutive semesters.
Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for consideration:
- Must be a resident of the State of Maine
- Must be admitted to a degree program (matriculated) at a UMS institution seeking a first baccalaureate degree.
- Must be an undergraduate reentry student who has experienced a gap of two years or more in the pursuit of postsecondary education.
- Must have a minimum of 30 credits earned from any institution toward your degree
- Must demonstrate financial need as determined by a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Must be registered at least part time (6-8 credits) each semester during the academic year.
How to Apply
Students can apply by using the online application process found on the scholarship website.
How to Renew
Students must complete a renewal application annually.