We connect students with business leaders and the community to create a better world using business concepts learned in the classroom. We do team community outreach projects that empower people in need by applying business and economic concepts and an entrepreneurial approach to improve their standard of living and quality of life.
What does Enactus stand for?
- ENtrepreneurial: having the perspective to see an opportunity and talent to create value from that opportunity;
- ACTion: the willingness to do something and the commitment to see it through even when the outcome is not guaranteed;
- US: a collection of people who see themselves connected in some important way; individuals that are part of a greater whole.
Work on a Local Issue
- Motivation Graduation: High School Drop-Out Prevention at Portland and Deering High Schools
- Teaching young people how to succeed after they are released from Long Creek Youth Development Center
- Working on the Campbell’s Let’s Can Hunger project, to bring short-term and long-term hunger relief and greater hunger awareness to southern Maine
- Working with Sam’s Club on the Sam’s Club Step Up for Small Business Challenge, consulting with local business on best practices
- Working with Build A Biz Maine, teaching children in the region about the tools of entrepreneurship
- Any other ideas you have!
Learn Project Management!
This year we have a mentor assigned to us by the Project Management Institute. Tina Merritt, a certified PMP (Project Management Professional) and the Vice-President of Process, Tools and Methodology in TD Bank’s Project Management Organization, will assist all members of USM Enactus with their project management. Not only will this improve the performance of USM Enactus, but it will give members the opportunity to learn valuable project management skills that almost all employers seek.
Connect with Business Leaders
Enactus allows for a great deal of networking. As an Enactus member, you have more connections with numerous national corporations and their career and internship opportunities. It is also known in the Greater Portland business community, which will help with job opportunities.
Measure Your Impact
Enactus sets up a National Exposition so that every Enactus team can share its success. Each team creates a presentation and shares its story. Executives from Enactus donor companies, such as Wal-Mart, Walgreens and Waste Management, judge these competitions. Teams that judges think have the greatest impact in their community move to later rounds of the national competition and the very best make it to the World Cup. Sometime in April, the USM Enactus team will travel to the National Exposition in St. Louis, MO.
In the spring of 2012, the USM Enactus team was second runner-up in the first round of the National Exposition, which made that year’s team one of the 60 best Enactus teams in the United States (out of almost 600 teams). In the spring of 2013, the USM Enactus team won the final New York Regional Enactus Competition and went on to the Enactus USA National Exposition in Kansas City, where it did very well. Among other things, the team won a $1,000 prize as Finalists in the “o.b. Call to Reduce Ocean Pollution special competition.”
Check out the USM Enactus website
USM Enactus has a website,http://enactususm.weebly.com/ Go there to check out our projects, our team membership, and our blog. At our YouTube site, http://www.youtube.com/user/usmenactus/ we have many videos, including one from the 2012 National Exposition that captures the experience of our team.
Join USM Enactus!!!
If you are interested in joining USM Enactus, we’d love to have you! We can use your help on all projects or new projects. To join:
- Drop by one of our weekly meetings on Tuesday, 2:45 to 4 p.m., LHB 410.
- Contact USM Enactus president Sarah Snowman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact USM Enactus Vice-President of Recruiting Rachel Siford at email@example.com.
- Contact faculty advisor Professor John Voyer at 780-4597 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enactus: Seeing possibilities. Taking action. Enabling progress.™