Anita Stewart McCafferty
- Ed.D., Walden University
- M.A.T., University of Maine
- B.S., University of Maine
Dr. Stewart McCafferty comes to the University from the ranks of public school leadership; most recently, she was the principal of Reeds Brook Middle School in Hampden, Maine (RSU #22). Prior to that, she was an assistant principal and athletic director at Mattanawcook Junior High School in Lincoln, Maine (RSU #67). Anita spent fifteen years teaching in and leading middle schools and is passionate about creating dynamic environments in which young adolescents, their educators, and the community at large collaborate to solve authentic community problems while learning rigorous, meaningful curriculum. She advocates providing ample opportunities for both students and staff to participate in and develop leadership skills; her doctoral research examines the impacts of high-quality service-learning upon students, educators, and community partners.
Anita has served as an adjunct instructor at the University of Maine in Orono and at Kennebec Valley Community College, along with teaching numerous courses, trainings, and workshops for educators regionally and across Maine.
Her research interests center around professional development, service learning, and standards-based education.
Anita loves to hike, spend time in the outdoors, sing and perform with her family, and travel.
- EDU 671 Organizational Behavior
- EDU 679 Supervision and Evaluation of Teachers
Areas of Expertise
- Professional Development
- Service Learning and Civic Engagement
- Supervision and Evaluation of Teachers
- Dr. Stewart McCafferty is currently working on Phase II of a study on proficiency-based education in the State of Maine, as part of the Center for Education Policy, Applied Research and Evaluation (CEPARE) research team.