- Ed.D. in Counselor Education, University of Maine
- MS.E.d. in Counselor Education, University of Maine
- BS in Education, University of Maine
Annette Nelligan joined the University of Sothern Maine (USM) Counselor Education faculty in the summer of 2018 after teaching in theUniversity of Maine Counselor Education program for more than 10 years. She will be assisting in the implementation of the newly accredited Clinical Rehabilitation Track, a blended program which is offered through the low-residency Rehabilitation concentration.
Annette earned her Ed.D. in Counselor Education from the University of Maine. She is an LCPC, a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT), and a licensed social worker (LSW).
- Community engagement and cultural education. Qualitative study in process examining impacts on student understanding of culture after a cultural immersion experience that included service learning. (in process)
- Counseling and guidance services for international students: How foreign a task for school counselors. A qualitative study concerning school counselors’ experiences working with international high school students. (in process)
- Entering students’ world of high technology: Potential problems and opportunities for counselors. A phenomenological study of the effects of increased use of digital technology and social networking on presenting issues in school counseling is being conducted using analysis of recorded interviews.
- Investigating the effects of a skill-based videotape on counselor trainees’ self-efficacy for group leadership skills: Using a videotape of counselor trainees demonstrating group counseling techniques, an instrument measuring self-perceptions of skills was administered to subjects before and after viewing the instructional material. Dr. Betsy Page (Kent State University) provided collaboration with instrument development and administration of the instrument to additional participants.
- Reducing verbal cruelty among behaviorally disturbed youth through a multi-level group process: A school-wide group intervention program was initiated for purposes of interventions targeting reduction of verbally abusive behavior among students. Baseline data was compared with post-intervention data delineating the frequency of negative verbal exchanges among subjects.
- Relationships of antecedent variables in school counselors’ decisions to report child abuse and neglect: Multiple regression analysis was employed to detect correlations among variables identified through survey methodology that measured school counselors’ self-reported levels of competence and confidence in reporting suspected child abuse and neglect.
- ‘Peer Mentoring” presented to students and faculty of Mattanawcook Academy. University of Maine, May 2, 2018.
- “Applications of TeachLive in Counselor Training” presentation at annual TeachLive national conference, University of Central Florida, June 7, 2017.
- “Cultural Education and Community Engagement” research presentation, University of Maine COEHD Pecha Kucha. University of Maine, November 30, 2016.
- “Culturally Diverse Visiting Professors Help Transform Multicultural Educator Preparation” (with John Maddaus, Aretha Marbley, and Denise Patmon) National Association for Multicultural Education annual conference, Tucson, Arizona, November 6, 2014.
- “Taking your Skills Abroad: Adapting Counseling Skills for International Application” Maine Counseling Association Annual Conference, Rockport, Maine, April 14, 2014.
- Help from Above: Collaboration with Higher Education and Peer Helping Programs” (with Joshua Jones) National Peer Program Conference. Clear Point, Alabama February 13, 2014.
- A global perspective on counseling: The increasing demand for cultural competency” Maine Counseling Association Annual Conference, Rockport, Maine, April 8, 2013.
- For additional presentations prior to 2013, see the attached Curriculum Vitae.
- Projects for Peace Committee, University of Maine, 2014-2016
- Northern New England Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, annual conference committee, 2013-present
- Maine School Counseling Association board member, 2011-2018.
- Maine Counseling Association ethics committee member, 2012-present
- Symposium for Educators of International Students in Maine initiator and organizer, 2012-2017.
- Special Olympics of Maine. Coach 2005-2010. Organized Counselor Education student volunteer team, 2011-present
- Peer mentoring training for Maine high school students. With Dennis Lin and Joshua Jones, organized and presented peer mentoring training for peer teams from two high schools.
- Counselor Education program volunteer opportunities, organized program participation in the Healthy High awareness event for drug and alcohol awareness on campus.
- Committees in the College of Education and Human Development:
- Graduate Affairs Committee 2010-present
- Dean’s Leadership Team 2012-2013
- Standing Committee on Differences and Diversity 2010-present, NCATE standard 4 team 2010-present
- School crisis teams:
- Member of Old Town Crisis Team, 1998-2010
- With Joshua Jones provided crisis team training May 28, 2013 to three schools.
- Offered services to Old Town High School during recent crisis situation May 2013.
- National Counselor Exam, site coordinator 2010-present.
- Maine Department of Education, school counselor credential reviewer, 2010-present.