What is Service-Learning?
- Definition & Distinctions
- Seven Elements of High Quality Service-Learning
- Workbook of Key Questions for Planning a Service-Learning Course
Top Web Resources
- Association of American College & Universities
- Campus Compact provides a rich database of service-learning resources, including over 300 example service-learning syllabi covering a wide range of disciplines.
- Community Campus Partnerships for Health
- National Service-Learning Clearinghouse library of free K-16 service-learning resources
- Service-Learning Essentials by Barbara Jacoby (available in our office library)
- Introduction to Service-Learning Toolkit: Readings and Resources for Faculty
- Research University Engaged Scholarship Toolkit is an evolving set of resources that helps scholars and practitioners at research intensive universities to both do community-engaged research well and to identify new ways of documenting and evaluating engaged scholarship for promotion and tenure.
- Evaluation Criteria for the Scholarship of Engagement
- Community-Based Research Network
Recent Publications & Presentations by USM Faculty & Staff
Gerstenblatt, P. (2014). Community as Agency: Community Partner Experiences with Service Learning. Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship, 7(2).
Johnson, P. (2012). Groupwork, 22(2). [Note: there are multiple articles by multiple USM faculty in this journal issue]
Keuch, R., Sanford, R. (2014). Science Bowl Academic Competitions and Perceived Benefits of Engaging Students Outside the Classroom. Science Education and Civic Engagement: An International Journal, 6(2), 30-36.
Vazquez Jacobus, M., Ahmed, H., and Jalali, R. (2013). “My daughter does not know how to
make the chappati”: Understanding food access among African immigrants in Lewiston, ME.
Metropolitan Universities Journal, 23(3), 79-94.
DeForest, Craig. (2014, March). Community Engagement in the Online Classroom. Presentation at the Indiana Campus Compact 4th Annual Service Engagement Summit. Indiannapolis, IN.
Gerstenblatt, Paula. (2014, February). Foundations of Service-Learning Pedagogy. Presentation as part of University of Southern Maine's Office of Engaged Learning Engaged Teaching Series. Portland, ME.
Gerstenblatt, Paula. (2014, April). Community Engaged Scholarship. Presentation as part of University of Southern Maine's Office of Engaged Learning Engaged Teaching Series. Portland, ME.
Stutzman, Tracy. (2014, March). Developing Reciprocal & Sustainable Community Partnerships. Presentation as part of University of Southern Maine's Office of Engaged Learning Engaged Teaching Series. Portland, ME.
Vazquez Jacobus, M. (2013, September). The Identity of the Community Engaged
Scholar and Institutional Challenges to Community Engagement Work. Presentation at New England Resource Center for Higher Education Annual Lynton Colloquium. Boston, MA.