George Sugai, PhD
Kathleen Lane, PhD
|...with additional workshops and implementation sessions
presented by national and local leaders in the field of PBIS.
Conference Flyer (pdf)
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) are being implemented in 13,331 schools across 47 states, and Maine is one of them! PBIS has a large and ever growing research base demonstrating positive outcomes including but not limited to increased academic achievement and academic engagement, decreased time spent addressing problem behavior, improved positive school climate, and reduction in administration of consequences for problem behaviors such as detentions and suspensions. PBIS is not a packaged curriculum, but an approach made up of essential elements that can be implemented a variety of ways.
This conference includes an "Implementor's Forum," implementation sessions in which several Maine schools will share their experiences implementing PBIS, including preparation, unique practices and systems, and outcomes thus far. Other sessions are designed to support schools seeking to start up or sustain PBIS efforts, including topics such as Primary and Secondary Tier interventions, SWIS (School Wide Information System), RTI, Social Skills, classroom interventions and more.
Teachers, special educators, principals, special education directors, social workers, school counselors, and state leaders are all encouraged to attend. Ideally, a school or district will send a team comprised of representatives of
various grade levels, roles and administration.
Presenters include national and local PBIS leaders to ensure the following conference outcomes for attendees:
- Acquire universal and Tier II strategies and interventions
- Learn how teams have applied PBIS strategies to their schools
- Acquire ideas and examples of school systems from those who are at years 1-4 of implementation
- Participate in capacity building sessions and take back to your school useful information to apply now or as you implement PBIS
- Get connected to a network of facilitators who will support your school or district as you implement PBIS
- Learn how to apply PBIS foundation to classroom systems
- Jim Artesani (Check-in/Check-out - Tier 2)
- Courtney Bartlett (Family-School Partnerships in PBIS)
- Rebekah Bickford (Active Supervision)
- Rachel Brown-Chidsey (The Behavior Chicken and the Academic Egg)
- Brian Cavanaugh (Classroom Management)
- Clarissa Errington (PBIS at the District Level)
- Jennifer Freeman (SWIS for Data-based Decision Making)
- Lee Goss (Beyond K-12: PBIS for Families and Preschoolers)
- Katherine Harvey (PBIS at the District Level)
- Susan Jarmuz-Smith (Family-School Partnerships in PBIS)
- Alexis Kiburis (Classroom Structure)
- Kathleen Lane (Keynote Speaker)
- Rick Meyers (Developing the PBIS Student Team)
- Jennifer Snow (School-wide Acknowledgement Systems)
- George Sugai (Keynote Speaker)
- Meaghan Swan (Responding to Minor Problem Behavior)
- Serena Williams (Coaching: Creating Positive System-wide Change)