Certificate of Graduate Study in Youth with Moderate-to-Severe Disabilities
This certificate includes a set of courses especially designed for educators who are working with youth who have moderate-to-severe disabilities and would like to improve their skills and knowledge in working effectively with these youth. This concentration supports educators who work in both inclusionary and non-inclusionary settings.
Total Required Credits: 12 Credits
SED 612 Youth with Moderate to Severe Disabilities
SED 621 Teaching Functional Life Skills
SED 692 Transition from School to Adult Life
or SED 622 Within School Transitions
Elective Course (3 credits) – approved by program coordinator
For course descriptions, please click here: http://usm.maine.edu/sehd
Criteria for admission include successful completion of a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited postsecondary institution and relevant professional experience. To earn a certificate, students must complete 75 percent of the required coursework at USM, and earn a grade of B (3.0) or better in each course.
Rolling with priority deadlines: May 1 for fall matriculation, October 15 for spring matriculation.
- Candidates should submit all application materials to the USM Office of Graduate Admissions, P.O. Box 9300, Portland, ME 04104-9300 by the application deadline.
Application must include:
- Application for Certificate Program, including a $25.00 nonrefundable application fee;
- Official transcripts or copies of official transcripts from all colleges and universities from which you received a degree;
- Current resume;
- Personal statement describing why you are applying to the program; and
- Completed and signed Teacher Credential Summary Form.
Acceptance to a certificate program does not constitute acceptance to a master's degree or post-master's certificate of advanced study program. Applications for degree status must be made under separate cover.
NEWS FOR PROSPECTIVE AND CURRENT STUDENTS
It's not too early to think about summer. Online class search available now. Registration begins March 3. Check out our summer registration flyer!
Open House for Prospective Graduate Students
Monday, March 10
Abromson Center, USM Portland
FMI: Visit the Graduate Admissions website