Stonecoast connects emerging writers with award-winning authors to create a uniquely inclusive and challenging low-residency MFA in creative writing program. Our innovative curriculum and welcoming community will propel your writing forward, providing the structure, guidance, encouragement, and professional network you need to achieve your goals.
At Stonecoast, you’ll work with award-winning faculty and join a diverse community of writers and educators dedicated to expanding inclusivity and social justice—in our MFA program, in our own writing, and as vocal members of our communities. You’ll work with writers who care deeply about the power of telling stories to reimagine and reshape the world we share.
Our alumni publish books, contribute to top literary journals, produce critically acclaimed plays and films, and garner competitive prizes, residencies, and professional positions as writers, teachers, and editors.
"Before, I was a dreamer, a dabbler. Now, I'm a writer."
Gregory Martin (Stonecoast, Winter '17)
Find and Develop Your Voice
We’ll help you build the foundation you need to thrive as a writer. Our program includes focused attention on:
- Creating habits that help take your writing to the next level
- Understanding theory and excelling at craft
- Expanding perspectives on social and environmental justice issues, race, and identity
- Learning the business of writing and publishing
- Building a platform and a professional network
Activate Your Limitless Potential
With our abundant residency offerings and individualized study plans, we’ll support you in designing a program to meet your needs.
- Take a deep dive into your chosen genre with exceptional writers in your field.
- Study alternative and hybrid forms with faculty who write across genres.
- Focus your learning with elective workshops.
- Gain valuable publishing experience and insight by joining the editorial staff of our student-run literary magazine, Stonecoast Review.
Write Where You Are
Our flexible low-residency creative writing MFA model brings together Stonecoast writers twice a year.
- Students engage in ten-days of in-person workshops, seminars, readings, and conversations sure to ignite their writing.
- Between residencies, you’ll work one on one with an extraordinary faculty mentor, on a schedule that fits your life.
- While we love to meet face-to-face in Maine for our residencies when we must workshop virtually Stonecoast has robust on-line learning platforms and resources that help you get the most out of your residency.
We would love to tell you more about our Stonecoast MFA community. Contact us with your questions.