(Updated October 2017) Be sure to check back as we add more content to this section!)
If a student has not yet legally changed their name, their preferred name may still be used in MaineStreet, on class rosters, on their USM Card id's, etc. This is a policy for the University of Maine System (August 2013), and details and instructions will be available and updated as we continue to adapt. In the meantime, contact Sarah Holmes (email@example.com or 780-5767) for assistance.
If you are able to legally change your name, you can bring your name change paperwork to the USM Registrar and they will make the needed updates in MaineStreet. Once that happens, you should be able to request a new USM ID Card, change your email address, etc.
If you have not yet changed your name legally, but you have another name that you wish used to identify you on campus, here are the steps you can take:
In your Student Center on MaineStreet, under “Personal Information” towards the bottom of the page, select “Names.” This will allow you to edit the “Preferred Name” field. It will take some time for the system to update and show this consistently - sometimes up to 24 hours. Once the update has been completed, the “Preferred Name” will appear to designate your student center, but your “Legal Name” will remain in the system as well. Legal names will remain because it is linked to your social security number, financial aid information, and health insurance information.
Beginning in the spring semester of 2017, class rosters should list Preferred Name only (previously, it would list both legal and preferred names). Legal names, along with the Preferred Name, may still remain in the grade report that faculty will see.
If you encounter difficulties with this, please reach out and allow us to help troubleshoot!
2. USM ID Card:
Once your preferred name has been indicated in MaineStreet, you can request a USM ID card with your preferred name on it. Because the card office only receives legal name (along with student id number and date of birth) at this time, we have a temporary work around to ensure that you get the correct ID card. Please be in touch with Sarah Holmes at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-5767.
**We recommend that you wait until the end of the semester, and before the start of the next semester, to take the following steps so that there will be no interruption in your email and/or Blackboard access**
3. Email Address:
and click on....
The intention is that users can only change their username once in their time in the University of Maine system.
4. Gmail Display:
We are working to draft the instructions for this one. The USM Help Desk should be able to provide assistance if you encounter difficulties.
5. Blackboard Display:
We are working on some of the specifics of this one. Once your email address/UMS username has been changed, this new name should appear on Blackboard, but there are some places where this isn’t consistent. Please follow up with the USM Help Desk if you have difficulties!
The University of Maine System does not discriminate based on sex or sexual orientation, which includes gender identity and expression. All students, employees, and campus visitors are welcome to use the restrooms that best fit their gender.
- Former Private Residences along Bedford, Chamberlain, and Exeter Streets (these buildings, housing many academic departments and programs, contain single stall, all-gender bathrooms)
- Luther Bonney Hall, (1) first floor, near the School of Business offices (2) first floor, inside the Computer Lab
- Masterton Hall, second floor, to the left of the gendered bathrooms
- Science Building, (1) second floor, across from the ramp, near the anatomy lab, (2) second floor, Room 216, (3) third floor, Room 354, (4) third floor, Room 355
- Sullivan Gym and Fitness Complex, Media Studies Lab (external entrance on the side of the building facing the Woodbury Campus Center and the Steam/Heat plants)
- Sullivan Gym and Fitness Complex, Recovery Oriented Campus Center, second floor (up the stairs on the left side of the lobby, the last door on the right)
- Wishcamper Center, (1) first floor (next to the elevator), (2) third floor, (4) fourth floor (next to kitchenette)
- [Opening Fall 2017] Woodbury Campus Center to the left of the sex-segregated restrooms
- Former Private Residences on College Ave and School Street (these buildings, housing academic departments, programs, and other offices, contain all gender bathrooms)
- Anderson Hall, first floor, to the left of the front doors*
- Bailey Hall, All floors, in the central hallway junction
- Brooks Student Center, Upper Level, inside the back hallway of the cafeteria
- Costello Sports Complex, in the hallway near the Fitness Center
- Philippi Hall, first floor, next to the TV lounge*
- Robie Andrews Hall, Art Department, bottom floor, to the right from the entrance
- Robie Andrews Hall, first floor lobby*
- Russell Hall (Theater building), basement level
- Undergraduate Admissions and Transfer Affairs on Husky Drive
- Upper Class Hall, first floor lobby bathrooms, and basement level to the left of the elevators*
- Woodward Hall, first floor near the staff apartment*
*Bathrooms located in residence halls are only available to residential students and signed in guests.
Lewiston Auburn College
- Located in the “New Wing” of the building on both the first and second floor
(updated August 2017)
Resources collected by the Trans Youth Equality Foundation
Resources collected by the Maine Transgender Network