Student Financial Services

Payment Methods

Payment Options

E-check /ACH (electronic checks) - An electronic debit to a checking or savings account can be made online by logging on to the MaineStreet Student Center. There is no fee for this service.

Credit and Debit Cards (Online Only) - Credit and debit card payments are processed by Touchnet, an external payment processing company. Credit and debit card payments can be made online by logging on to the MaineStreet Student Center. Debit and credit card payments cannot be accepted by USM staff in person, through the mail, or over the phone.
Touchnet will charge a 2.85% (minimum $3.00) non-refundable convenience fee for all credit or debit card payments made to a student account.
Cards accepted are: Visa/MasterCard/Discover/American Express. 

Remember you need to authorize others to view your online account, enroll in a payment plan, and make online payments. For more information about authorizing access.

Cash and Paper Checks - USM accepts cash, but please do not send it through the mail. We also accept personal checks, money orders, cashier's checks, and traveler's checks. Please make checks payable to the University of Southern Maine and mail to USM Student Financial Services, PO Box 9300, Portland Maine  04104-9300. Be sure to include the student ID number on the face of the check. We will not accept postdated checks.

International Payments - The University of Maine System has partnered with flywire in order to streamline the process of international payments. flywire allows you to pay securely from any country and any bank, generally in your home currency.

By making your payment with flywire you can – Track your payments from start to finish – Save on bank fees and exchange rates – Contact their multilingual customer support team with any questions, day or night. To get started, click or go to: flywire to begin the payment process.

Financial Aid - Student Financial Aid awards can be found by logging on to the MaineStreet Student Center.

Payment Plans - USM offers students the opportunity to enroll in a payment plan. Each plan has a non-refundable enrollment fee of $30.00 per semester. Learn about the different options available.


Scholarships - The student needs to provide copies of the outside scholarship(s) to the Student Financial Services office.

Scholarships awarded by the University will post automatically to the student’s account.

If indicated on the award letter, Student Financial Services will mail a bill for scholarships awarded by non University donors after the add/drop period of each semester. Request for scholarship payment can also be sent at the request of the student.

Scholarship checks can be mailed to:

USM Student Financial Services
PO Box 9300
Portland, ME 04104                                                                                                    

Questions regarding scholarships awarded by non University donors can be directed to Michele Reagan at (207) 780-4028 or

Questions regarding scholarships awarded by the University can be directed to Student Financial Services at (207) 780-5250.

3rd Party Billing - It is the student’s responsibility to obtain authorization from the third party sponsor. The student or the third party sponsor will need to provide a hard copy of the authorization form to the Student Financial Services office before the payment due date. A late authorization could result in a late payment fee.

An authorization requires specific information pertaining to what the third party sponsor is willing to pay on the student's behalf (i.e. tuition, fees, room, or board) and the specific dollar amount(s).

The authorizations can be mailed, faxed, or emailed to the following:

USM Student Financial Services
37 College Ave
Gorham, ME 04038
Fax #: (207) 780-5590


NOTE:   It is the student's responsibility to make payment for any portion of the bill not covered by the third party sponsor, by the payment due date, to avoid late payment fees. USM offers payment plans to assist students in paying for their classes. 

For questions about third party billing, contact Student Financial Services at (207) 780-5108 or by email at