- March 2nd- USM students (and students from University of Maine System)
MaineStreet self-service will open at 6:00 AM.
- March 4th- Registration is open to All
Students interested in taking Summer courses who are not currently enrolled in a degree program at USM are welcome! Call us at (207)780-5230 to register, beginning March 4th.
Registration continues until a course begins. Courses may fill quickly. We recommend registering early.
- By Phone- Students can register by calling (207) 780-5230, Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM- 4:30 PM.
- In-Person - Students can register in person at Student Success Center, 119 Payson Smith Hall on the Portland campus; the Registrar's Office, 100 Bailey Hall on the Gorham campus; Lewiston-Auburn College; or Off-campus sites in Bath/Brunswick and Saco. Students registering for School of Business courses must register at the School of Business in Luther Bonney Hall, Portland campus.
- Online - If you have previously taken courses at USM within the last two years, you may register anytime after registration begins using the University's MaineStreet Student Self-Service.
- Registration Changes - Registration for pass/fail, audit, and repeat courses must be declared by the student at the time of registration. Any changes to pass/fail, audit, or repeat status must be done before the second class meeting. To add or drop a course or make other changes after registration, the student must complete the proper forms at the Registrar's Office on the Gorham campus or the Student Success Center on the Portland campus. Course charges are due within ten (10) business days of registration.
- Credit Limit - No student may register for more than 18 credits for the summer term without the permission of his or her advisor and dean.
- Late Regsitration - Students may add a course after the first class meeting only with permission of the instructor. Students must complete and submit a faculty signed Add Form or provide written (email) permission from the faculty of record to the USM Summer office, Student Success Centers, or Registrar's office.
- Academic Withdrawal Policy - Students withdrawing after the add/drop period through 60% of the course will receive a W grade. Students withdrawing after 60% of the course will receive an automatic grade of F.
- Failure to Withdraw Penalty - Failure to submit notice of withdrawal may result in a failing grade and a financial liability. Discussion with a faculty member is not proper notification of change. In the case of a student withdrawal after the automatic grade "W" period, the student will receive a grade designation to be determined by the instructor.
- Grades and Transcripts - If you are a current USM student, grades are available online via MaineStreet Student Self-Service. Non-Matriculated students or USM students who desire official documentation of Summer coursework must complete a Transcript Request form and submit to the Registrar's Office.
- Course Cancellation - The University reserves the right to cancel courses in the case of low enrollment or lack of qualified instructor. Cancellation decisions are typically made at least one week prior to the scheduled start of the course. Students will receive notification of any course cancellation at their @maine.edu email address.
- Audits - Students may register for courses on a audit basis. With an audit registration, the student may participate in class work, but is not required to take examinations. An audit registrant should know, however, that state departments of education do not accept for certification or other purposes any course taken on an audit basis. An audit registrant is required to pay full tuition for the course. Registration status may not be changed beyond the second class meeting.
- Independent Study - All courses entitled 'Independent Study' require the use of a special advance Independant Study Approval form, available at the Student Success Centers and the Registrar's Office. This form must be completed in advance of registration.
- Variable Credit Courses - Students wishing to register for variable credit courses must complete a Variable Credit Approval form, obtain proper approval, and specify the credit hours for which they will register. These forms are available at all Student Success Centers and the Registrar's Office.
- Degree Applications - Students who expect to complete associate, baccalaureate, or graduate degree requirements this summer should submit an Application for Degree. This form is available at all Student Success Centers and the Registrar's Office.
- Maine Immunization Law - Current Maine State Law requires all degree students (and non-degree students taking 12 or more credit hours), who were born on or after January 1, 1957, to show proof of immunization against measles (rubeola), rubella, mumps, tetanus, and diphtheria before the student registers for classes. For more information, please call USM's Immunization Hotline at (207) 780-4504.
- Disclaimer - The University reserves the right to cancel course offerings, to set minimum and maximum size of classes, to change designated instructors of courses, and to make decisions affecting the academic standing of anyone participating in a course or program offered by the University of Southern Maine.
Home for the Summer? Take a course at USM!
Transfering credits from USM to your home institution is easy because USM is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. Check with your advisor or Registrar's office at your home institution regarding how a USM course will transfer into your academic program. Once you have completed the course, you can request to have a transcript sent to your home institution.