March 19, 26, April 2, 9, 16, & 23, 2014
Join us at our popular recurring bike workshop series in a NEW location: the Portland Gear Hub. There is more space and there are more tools for your hands-on use! These workshops are designed to provide the aspiring, beginner, or intermediate bike mechanics with basic safety and maintenance information and are lead by volunteer professional bike mechanics from around the Portland area. $5-$10 donation is encouraged, which helps us continue to offer these programs and source parts for YOU!
Demo bikes and communal tools are available - bring your bike and/or tools if you have them! The first hour is a structure lesson on varying aspects of bike care, the second hour is open bench time supported by knowledgeable volunteers.
Schedule of workshops:
Week 1 - March 19, 2014: Introduction to Bikes, Bike Anatomy, & Fit
- Get to know your bike, other bikes, and the workshop staff. Explore the basics of bike riding. Bring your questions!
Week 2 - March 26 2014: Tires, Tubes, & Fixing a Flat
- Learn how to identify a leak, and practice how to change a tire and patch a flat tube. Learn about different types and applications of tires.
Week 3 - April 2, 2014: Brakes & Braking
- Learn the basics of brake anatomy, function, adjustment, and simple repair on different styles of brakes.
Week 4 - April 9, 2014: Gears & Shifting
- Explore the anatomy, function, and adjustment of myriad styles of gears, derailleurs, & shifters. Learn about optimal and efficient shifting while riding.
Week 5 - April 16, 2014: Hub Overall (aka Hubs, Cranks, and Bottom Bracket, Oh My!)
- Learn about diagnostics and maintenance of various 'joints' of a bicycle including the pedals and crank, bottom bracket, and wheel hubs.
Week 6 - April 23, 2014: Wheels, Spokes & Wheel Truing
- Experience the art of troubleshooting wheel issues, truing wheels, and adjusting spokes.
Don't forget to come to the Great Maine Bike Swap, too, on Sunday April 27.
The Portland Gear Hub is housed in the basement of the Portland YMCA and is a non-profit dedicated to providing outdoor equipment like bikes, skis, and backpacks to kids looking to go on short or long adventures.