The USM Eco-Rep Program will not be accepting new applications for the Fall of 2019. You are encouraged to submit an application for the Spring of 2020.
Student Peer Educators in Sustainability
The Eco-rep initiative cultivates environmental responsibility by training student leaders to engage and lead their peers in sustainable practices at USM. Eco-reps encourage environmentally responsible behaviors among their peers with educational and awareness building activities. Eco-reps report to one of three staff members in the Office of Sustainability. Projects encompass all manner of environmental subjects, including recycling & waste reduction, biking & alternative transportation, alternative energy & energy conservation, greenhouse gas emissions & climate change, pollution & stormwater, and sustainable landscaping.
Who Should Become an Eco-rep?
- Anyone interested in sustainable practices, building community and identity, meeting people, and doing fun projects
- Anyone who is self-directed, has integrity, and is able to work in groups and individually
- People interested in designing and implementing initiatives
- Any student, no matter their major, department, full-/part-time student status, or year
- Students willing to dedicate 4 to 8 hours of work per week toward projects
What Do Eco-reps Do?
- Design and execute projects
- Create, coordinate, promote, and host events
- Recycling and waste station coordination and monitoring
- Door to door residential student outreach and education
- Disseminate information to groups, give presentations in classes, offer sustainability tours of campus
- Gather energy and environmental data to assist in improving campus sustainability efforts
- Build connections with community partners
- Encourage, facilitate, and mediate student dialogue about sustainability opportunities and programs
- Act as ambassadors for the Office of Sustainability, both on and off campus
- Publish articles in the Free Press for the Sustainability and ME column
Interested? Fill out this quick form and someone from the Office of Sustainability will be in touch shortly.
Be a part of something great; become a USM EcoRep!
Pictured above, left to right: Dalton Bouchles, Nat Veiluex, Israa Enan, Abram Marr-2018 Eco-Reps pledging to live more sustainably