The USM Office of Sustainability works across all campuses, departments, and disciplines to reduce environmental impact.
Explore our site by subject:
- Sustainability Strategic Plan
- Sustainability Progress Reports
- Climate Action, Greenhouse Gas Inventories, & Carbon Footprint
- Recycling & Waste Reduction - Food waste recovery, Tiny Trash, Mindful Move-out, & more
- Alternative Transportation - Biking, walking, shuttles, & public transit
- Sustainable Landscapes - Gardens, orchards, and edible food forest
- Stormwater & Pollution - Incident Report Form (coming soon!), plans, & tours
- Energy & Utilities - Coming soon! - Success stories, current projects, initiatives, & data sets
- Green Purchasing - Coming soon!
- Green Buildings & Self-Guided Tours - Coming soon! - LEED certified Buildings & campus tours
- Green Up Your Space - Tips & tricks for your office, classroom, or dorm room
- Get Involved with Sustainability - Work with the Office of Sustainability, join a club on campus, and connect with the community
- Free Press Publications for the Sustainability & ME column
Sustainability at the University of Southern Maine means environmental responsibility and sensitivity as well as a focus on wellbeing. Across three campuses we strive to implement sustainable solutions that serve not only our planet locally and globally, but also our diverse university community. From careful and innovative waste management practices to energy and water conservation, from engaging students, staff, and the outside community with creative programming to integrating sustainability into the curriculum, and from responsible procurement to careful planning and execution of projects and initiatives, USM is striving to lighten our carbon footprint while simultaneously enriching the learning experience for all of our students in all majors.
Use this website as a guide to explore what USM is currently doing in the field of environmental sustainability.No matter what your major is and what your career becomes, you can help create a more sustainable world.