The USM Office of Sustainability works across all campuses, departments, and disciplines to reduce environmental impact. Explore our site by subject:
- Overall Sustainability Plan
- Climate Action, Greenhouse Gas Inventories, & Carbon Footprint
- Recycling & Waste Reduction - Coffee Ground Recycling, Tiny Trash, Mindful Move-out, & More
- Alternative Transportation - Biking, Walking, Shuttles, & Public Transit
- Sustainable Landscapes - Gardens, Orchards, and Initiatives
- Stormwater & Pollution - Incident Report Form (coming soon!), Plans, Tours
- Energy & Utilities - Coming soon! - Success stories, current projects, initiatives, & data sets
- Green Purchasing - Coming soon!
- Green Buildings & Self-Guided Tours - Coming soon! - LEED certified Buildings & campus tours
- Green Up Your Space - Tips & Tricks for your Office, Classroom, or Res Hall Room
- Get Involved with Sustainability - Work with us, Join a club, Connect with the community
Sustainability at the University of Southern Maine means environmental responsibility and sensitivity as well as a focus on wellbeing. Across three campuses we strive to implement sustainable solutions that serve not only our planet locally and globally but also our diverse university community. From careful and innovative waste management practices to energy and water conservation, from engaging students, staff, and the outside community with creative programming to integrating sustainability into the curriculum, and from responsible procurement to careful planning and execution of projects and initiatives, USM is striving to lighten our carbon footprint while simultaneously enriching the learning experience for all of our students in all majors.
This website is designed as a guide to what USM is currently doing in the field of environmental sustainability and to provide resources to help visitors increase their own eco-literacy. No matter what your major is and what your career becomes, you can help create a more sustainable world. As the site grows, we are interested in hearing what you'd like to see and what you would find most helpful. Please don't hesitate to contact us with ideas, suggestions, or comments. Check back again soon as content is added and updated continuously!