Lori Sussman Ed.D.
- EdD, Transformative Leadership, University of New England, Portland, Maine
- MS, National Security Studies (Distinguished Graduate), National War College, National Defense University, Washington, DC
- MMAS School of Advanced Military Studies, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
- MS in Artificial Intelligence and Human Factors Engineering (Honors), The George Washington University, Washington, DC
- BS, United States Military Academy, West Point, New York
Lori Sussman, Ed.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Technology. She previously served in the Business Department as adjunct faculty.
Since her retirement from the US Army in 2007, Dr. Sussman has spent time in large corporations, small business, and as an entrepreneur. She has experience working in high technology companies such as Cisco, Hewlett Packard, and a local South Carolina Fortune 5000 company called eGroup. In these roles, she managed highly complex, diverse, and active organizations engaged in developing, acquiring, integrating, deploying, and sustaining state-of-the-art business and technology systems for clients.
In 2005, Dr. Sussman was named one of the CRN 2015 Women of the Channel Power 50 Solution Provider by The Channel Company's CRN Magazine. CRN’s "Women of The Channel" is a special recognition of those female channel executives who have risen in the ranks of their organizations. Within that, the Power 50 Solution Provider is a subset of the CRN Women of the Channel who have earned this unique distinction based on their exemplary record of success accelerating their clients’ needs through technology solutions.
Dr. Sussman also has a distinguished public sector career. She spent over 24 years in various leadership positions through brigade command in areas across the US, Asia, and Europe. Some of her career highlights include her service at the White House as a Presidential Communications Lead for Presidents Bush (41) and Clinton. Also, she served the Pentagon as Chief of Staff for the Defense CIO, Special Assistant to the US Chief of Staff of the Army, and as a Chief of Staff for the Joint IED Defeat Organization which is run by a four-star general reporting to the Deputy Secretary of Defense. Dr. Sussman commanded strategic and tactical communications organizations that provided technical systems and support to Army, Joint, and international organizations.
Areas of Expertise
• STEM Education
• Women in Technology
• Women in STEM
• Program/Project Management
• Applied Leadership in STEM/Technology
• Strategy, Operations, and Planning
• Facilitation and Teambuilding
• Entrepreneurship in Technology
• Educational Technology
• Technology Innovation
Lori Sussman enjoys the outdoors. In her spare time, she can be found camping, cycling, paddling, or doing other fun outside adventures with her family and friends.
Awards and Recognition
- Recognized by the Secretary of the Army for lean six sigma approach which saved $61M while still improving technical infrastructure and training while leading the Army IT School.
- Named Army Science Technology and Math (STEM) role model in 2004 and did extensive Women and STEM empowerment speaking engagements.
- Lead the transformation of the White House network structure from mainframe to distributed technologies. The program's speed, agility, and cost-reducing measures became a model for the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA).
- White House Communications Officer of the Year and Presidential Communications Officer responsible for all voice, data, and audio-visual support to the President of the United States and his staff.