Reporting Telephone Troubles or Requesting New Services

To report telephone troubles or new services:

  1. Go to
  2. Select the proper link for the issue you want, complete and submit

If you do not have internet access, please call IT Support Services at 4029 and they will create a ticket and submit it to NetworkMaine Telecommunications.

After hours, please leave your name and phone number, issue location (building, room number, phone, and jack number) and a brief description of the problem.