Melinda S. Butler Ed.D.
- Ed.D. in Literacy, Sam Houston State University, 2018
- M.Ed. in Reading, Sam Houston State University, 2007
I love teaching literacy courses here at the University of Southern Maine. My research interests are teachers' and students' perceptions of popular culture texts, classroom libraries, independent reading, connecting out-of-school literacies to school literacies, and student/children's access to texts.
Areas of Expertise
- Teachers' and students' perceptions of popular culture texts
- Classroom libraries
- Independent reading
- Connecting out-of-school literacies to school literacies
- Student/children's access to texts
Areas of Scholarship
- Teachers' and Students' Perceptions of Popular Culture Texts
- Classroom Libraries
- Students' Access to Texts
- Butler, M. S. (2020). Choice, with conditions: Popular culture texts and independent reading. Primer Journal 48(2), 13-25.
- Butler, M. S. (2018). Hey, can you find me a book? Providing popular culture texts to
students in a Title I elementary school. Texas Association for Literacy Education
(TALE) Yearbook. Accepted for publication in 5(1).
- Butler, M. S., & Votteler, N. K. (2016). Disequilibrium: An instructional coach’s
reflection. Texas Association for Literacy Education (TALE) Journal. Accepted
for publication in 4(1).
- Butler, M. S. (2019). Popular culture book clubs: Springboard to inquiry at the 2019
National Council of Teachers of English Conference, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Karlin, A., Henderson, S., Adams, A., & Butler, M. S. (2019). Journeys to freedom and
inclusion: Stories of refugee and/or immigrant journeys told in picture & chapter
books that broaden knowledge and promote empathy in children & young adults
at the International Literacy Association Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Butler, M. S. (2019). “Hey, can you find me a book? Reclaiming student reading
engagement through the use of popular culture texts at the 2019 New England Council of Teachers of English Conference, Danvers, Massachusetts.
- Butler, M. S. (2019). Captain Underpants and Spiderman: Popular culture texts in reading workshop at the Northern New England Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages Conference, Lewiston, Maine.
- Butler, M. S. (2019). Elementary teachers’ perceptions of popular culture texts.