- The M.S.Ed. and CAS programs can meet Maine state requirements for ESL teacher endorsement, with prior teacher certification.
- Online learning format, with options for synchronous and asynchronous web-based coursework. On-campus classes are also available.
- Curriculum is grounded in literacy theory, focuses on speaking and listening skills, and places emphasis on teaching readers and writers.
- Only master’s degree in TESOL offered in the state of Maine.
- Our graduates teach all over the world, including in the United States, Japan, United Arab Emirates, Belgium, and Egypt.
- The TESOL practicum (EDU 623) can be completed in your home community.
- Students learn alongside expert faculty, including full-time professors and outstanding practitioners who are accessible and committed to each student’s success.
- Graduates are in high demand for their specialized expertise, which is necessary in local and global contexts.
- No GRE is required for admission.
- Out-of-state students receive an e-tuition rate that is only slightly higher than in-state tuition and much lower than typical out-of-state rate.
- Options to start in fall, spring or summer.
- Programs may be completed in one year with fall start and full-time attendance.
Master of Science in Education in TESOL
Provides students with the knowledge base and practical skills related to English as a Second Language (ESL) acquisition by English language learners. The emphasis is on developing proficiency and literacy in English as a Second Language and/or English as a Foreign Language. The program provides practitioners with the skills needed to assess language and implement instruction to improve learners’ proficiency for competent second language use.
The M.S.Ed. in TESOL is the only degree of its kind in Maine and is designed to accommodate the needs and goals of a wide range of ESL professionals working with culturally and linguistically diverse students, including K-12 teachers, adult educators, and those who teach or want to teach abroad. International students are encouraged to apply. This 30-credit program may be completed in one year with careful planning alongside a faculty advisor.
Certificate of Advanced Study in ESL
Designed to meet the needs of classroom teachers, administrators, and other educators who want to pursue advanced graduate study in ESL and related areas and/or earn Maine endorsement as an ESL teacher, K-12. Master’s degree required for admission.
Certificate of Graduate Study in ESL
Offered to classroom and special education teachers, educational technicians, and other holders of baccalaureate degrees who would like to obtain foundational knowledge in English language learning. Students who complete the certificate program receive official transcript recognition of their work and a certificate from the Literacy, Language, and Culture program. Credits earned from this certificate program may be transferable to a degree program. Certificate completers are able to plan effective instruction for English language learners and may earn state endorsement in ESL.