Department of Theatre Undergraduate Interview/Audition Information
2021/2022 Interview/Audition Information
We are on summer break! If you wish to audition to be a major starting in Fall 2021, please sign up for an audition using the Interview/Audition Request Form and we will set up a Zoom meeting with you.
Department of Theatre Interview/Audition Requirements
The theatre degree program at USM offers three tracks of study - Design/Technology, History/Literature, and Performance. Each requires an interview/audition for admission to the Department of Theatre.
How to Interview/Audition for the USM Department of Theatre:
1) Apply to USM through the Office of Admissions (https://usm.maine.edu/admit). Please note: To be granted an interview/audition, an applicant must either be an accepted USM student or have submitted their application to the University’s Office of Admissions.
2) Submit an online Interview/Audition Request Form to the Department of Theatre, available here.
3) Prepare for your interview/audition using the criteria below, based on your area of interest:
Costume, Lighting, Scenery, Sound, Stage Management, and Technical Production
Be prepared to present sketches, production documents, prompt books, or any other representations of your previous work. If you don’t have such representations, be prepared to discuss with us your interests and experiences in theatre.
Directing, Dramaturgy, History, and Playwriting
Be prepared to discuss with us one of the following plays:
- Hamlet by William Shakespeare
- Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
- All My Sons by Arthur Miller
- Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
- Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams
- A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
- Fences by August Wilson
- Piano Lesson by August Wilson
- Eurydice by Sarah Ruhl
- Hamilton by Lin-Manuel Miranda
Present two contrasting monologues no longer than 2 minutes each. One monologue should be contemporary, and the second one may be contemporary OR classical. They both must be from published dramatic literature (no film monologues, poems, or self-written work). We may work with you on the monologues as well as do some improvisation and/or movement exercises.
Need more info?
If you have any questions about the Department of Theatre Interview/Audition requirements, please email Department of Theatre Outreach Coordinator, Janice Gardner, at firstname.lastname@example.org.