University Health and Counseling Services

FAQ's Counseling Related

Where are the counseling offices located?
105 Payson Smith in Portland

156 Upton Hall in Gorham.
Counseling is offered at LAC on a limited basis.

Please call 753-6685 for information

What hours are the counseling offices open?
Monday though Friday, 8am to 4:30pm, during the Fall and Spring Semesters. We are closed during the summer sessions and academic breaks. Emergency consultation is offered after hours, however this is not a hotline. If you need to have an in-depth conversation with a counselor after hours you can call the local HELP line at either 774-HELP or 1-888-568-1112

Is counseling confidential?
Yes. Counseling is confidential with the exceptions that follow: if there is indication of harm to self or other; if there is indication of abuse to a child or an incapacitated elder; or if the court subpoenas the record

How do I make an appointment?
Call 780-4050 and our administrative staff will schedule you with a counselor as soon as there is an appointment available

How long will I have to wait for an appointment?
Appointments will be scheduled as soon as there is an opening. At our busy times students may have to wait for up to three weeks for an initial appointment. If there is an emergency, our associates will see to it that an appointment is scheduled that same day

Who will my counselor be?
Counseling services is staffed by three psychologists, two clinicians and several doctoral or master’s level interns. You will be scheduled with the first person who has an available appointment unless you have a specific request to see a woman or man, therapist of color, staff person or intern

What if I don’t feel like my counselor is a good fit for me?
You can transfer to another counselor

Is there a GLBTQ counselor on staff?
All staff are Safe Zone trained

Am I eligible for couples counseling even if my partner is not a student at USM?

Can counseling services provide me with medication?
No, but we can facilitate a referral to an appropriate provider.