Is marijuana safe to use because it's natural and legal?
10 Things You Should Know About Cannabis: The Grass Isn't Always Greener
Are edibles better or safer than smoking marijuana?
Facts about Edibles
- Marijuana can be infused into just about any food.
- 1 Marijuana Cookie or Brownie may contain 6 doses
- When marijuana is eaten, it is absorbed through the stomach and intestines and processed in the liver. It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours before the individual feels the euphoric effects.
- Once an individual ingests marijuana they cannot adjust the dose. Eating marijuana increases risk for overdose, whereas when a person smokes it they feel it right away and can adjust to the amount they are using.
- Individuals don’t think they have gotten high and ingest more of the edible.
- Slower onset and the high may last longer
- Higher risk, the user often uses more than intended.
- Use other drugs or drink alcohol while they are ingesting the edible.
Some individuals think using edibles is better for them than smoking and do not understand the negative consequences that could occur. Edibles can produce intense highs with negative side effects which may include:
- Impaired motor abilities
Consuming marijuana has the potential to mix with other drugs and substances leading to unexpected results.
For More information:
How does marijuana affect my brain and body?
This video from NIDA/NIH explains the brain reward system and the biochemical processes that occur during marijuana use [3:14 run time]: The Reward Circuit- How the Brain Responds to Marijuana