Veterans Services

Financial Aid for Veterans and their Families

USM is proud to offer in-state tuition rates to all Veterans and Active Duty Servicemembers⁠—even if they are non-residents of Maine⁠—if they provide one of the following documents:

  • VA Certificate of Eligibility
  • DD-214 (Honorable Discharge)
  • Military ID/CAC

For more information about financial aid and enrollment at USM, click here.

For a step-by-step guide to financing your USM education as an incoming student, click here.

To get started accessing VA educational benefits, click here.

Federal Student Aid

Those accessing VA educational benefits are encouraged to fill out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), as your VA educational benefits are not factored in when reviewing your income.

Tuition Assistance

For those currently drilling in the Guard or Reserves, there may be Tuition Assistance (TA) available that you can use along with your VA educational benefits. Please contact the education liaison at your unit or squadron for more information on applying for TA. Funds received for TA are considered when applying for federal aid.

Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC)

For those interested in being a commissioned officer, USM participates in ROTC, which also provides scholarships. For more on ROTC, please select your branch:


The University of Southern Maine offers several veteran-specific scholarships:

Non-USM military scholarships can be found here:

Non-military-connected scholarships can be found at the following websites:

Please note that some outside scholarships may affect your VA or federal financial aid benefits. Please contact the USM Financial Aid office for more information on your financial aid package, if applicable.

If you are receiving an outside scholarship and you are a Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®) recipient, please contact Veterans Services to see if the scholarship will affect your GI Bill benefits.

A Note on Delayed VA Payment

The University of Southern Maine will not deny a student access to classrooms, libraries or other institutional facilities, make the student borrow money to cover the cost while waiting for payment from the VA or charge a student a late fee or penalty while we are awaiting payment from the VA for tuition and fees. If the balance due is not related to tuition and fees, USM may implement the same holds or penalties that apply to students not using Chapter 33 or Chapter 31 benefits.

The University of Southern Maine requires that students wishing to use their Chapter 33 or Chapter 31 benefits submit a request for certification online at this link. In addition to this request, students are also required to submit a Certificate of Eligibility, a Form 1905 or a Statement of Benefit from the VA no later than the first day of classes.

This policy is written to comply with Section 103, PL 115-407 and ends when the VA makes payment or 90 days after the date the school certifies or invoices for tuition and fees provided the student submitted the required request for certification and required documentation outlining benefit eligibility.