USM offers courses year-round. You can take courses at USM even if you haven’t been admitted to a degree program. Take a class to fulfill job requirements, prepare to enter a degree program, or advance your career. USM welcomes all students.
- Spring 2015
- Priority Registration begins Monday, November 10th
- Open Registration begins Monday, December 1st
- Winter 2014
- Registration is currently open! Call us at (207)780-5900 to register.
Registration will continue until December 15th as space allows.
Check the listings below to find a course that fits your busy life.
Please note, students must satisfy all program and course prerequisites in order to register.
For registration assistance, please call 207-780-5900
Not sure which course to take? Connect with an Enrollment Counselor today!
These links takes you to the USM MaineStreet Course Search. Just click search to view the list of courses in each area.
- Complete List of Courses (All winter courses are online only)
For more detailed information on courses, such as descriptions,availability, days/times go to Class Search in MaineStreet (USM's online information and resource system). For help using MaineStreet Class Search, view our video tutorial.
Or call 780-5900 and a Student Services Representative will answer your questions and help you register.
- By phone: call USM Professional and Continuing Education at 207-780-5900 or 1-800-787-0468 (for undergraduate and graduate courses).
- Connect with an Enrollment Counselor to talk about course options. Our Enrollment Counselors can review your transcripts and advise you on which of our course options would best suit your needs.
- In person. Stop by one of the USM Student Success Centers at:
- Professional and Continuing Education, 218 Abromson Center, Portland
- 119 Payson Smith Hall, Portland
- 119 Bailey Hall, Gorham
- Room 119, Lewiston-Auburn College
- Grad Students: Graduate Admissions, 39 Exeter Street, Portland or Professional and Continuing Education, 218 Abromson Center, Portland
- MaineStreet Student Self-Service - If you have previously taken courses at USM within the last two years, you may register anytime after registration begins using the University's MaineStreet Student Self-Service.
Methods of payment include: payment in full, enrollment in a payment plan, the award of sufficient financial aid, or confirmation of third party payment.
- Option 1- Pay in full
- Option 2- Enroll in a Payment Plan
USM offers students the opportunity to enroll in payment plans. A $30 non-refundable set-up fee is charged for enrollment in a plan. Payments are divided into installments. To enroll in a payment plan, access Bill + Payment Suite via your online MaineStreet student account. Payment for the set-up fee and first installment are required at the time of enrollment.
- Option 3- Pay by Third Party Payment (if applicable)
The University will bill an employer that guarantees payment of a student's charges. The employer must provide written payment authorization prior to registration. The student is responsible for all costs if the employer does not make payment. Please contact the office of Student Accounts to set up a third party payment at (207)780-5108 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: If payment is not received by the due date, late fees will be assessed. Non-payment may result in the cancellation of registration.
Please note: Charges can be accessed on MaineStreet.
- In Person with Cash/Check - Payment may be made at the office of Student Accounts located in Portland (118 Payson Smith Hall), Gorham (101 Bailey Hall), and LAC (119 Student Success Center). Checks should be made payable to the University of Southern Maine with the student's complete name and (7-digit) MaineStreet ID number clearly indicated on the check.
- On MaineStreet with a debit card, credit card, or E-Check (electronic check) - Students are now able to view and pay bills, self enroll in a payment plan, and authorize others to make online payments. Payment may be completed on MaineStreet through your MaineStreet Student Center via Bill + Payment Suite. For information on how to make a payment in MaineStreet, please view our quick guide or contact the office of Student Accounts at (207)780-5200. USM accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.
Please be aware that credit and debit card payments are processed by Touchnet, an external payment processing company. Touchnet will charge 2.75% (minimum $3.00) non-refundable convenience fee for all credit or debit card payments made to a student account. There is no fee to pay with an E-Check.
Payment plans can vary depending on the term registered. Please visit the following links that pertain to your term registration.
Refund Policies can vary depending on the term registered. Please visit the following links that pertain to your term registration.
- Spring 2015 Refund Policy *Coming Soon*
- Fall 2014 Refund Policy
At USM, adult students are provided with the advising support they need to be successful. We understand that coming back to school to finish a degree can be stressful and confusing.
Ready to get started? Contact an Enrollment Counselor who can assist you with the inquiry, application, and admission process.