At University Health & Counseling Services (UHCS), we are committed to keeping our students healthy and safe. We understand that this contributes to a student’s academic success and overall well-being.
- For a health-related emergency, dial 911
- For a mental health crisis, dial 1-888-568-1112
- For USM Public Safety, dial (207) 780-5211
Health Services Description: Click here for more information.
Counseling Services Description: Click here for more information.
For current Groups & Workshops being offered by Couseling Services, please click here for more information.
Privacy: Your visits to us are private and confidential. None of your health or counseling information will be shared or your records released without your written consent except as required/allowed by law.
Billing and Insurance:
- Students coming in for health as well as mental health-related visits will be asked to provide us with a copy of their health insurance card. Insurance will be billed for each clinical appointment. Students who have no insurance will not be denied services. Health & Counseling Services offers a reduced payment or free care option for students who qualify. Click here for more information.
- Students being seen by our contracted psychiatry practice for psychiatric evaluation and medication management will be charged a one-time $30 fee that can be paid online. Click here for more information.
Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP): The University of Maine System’s seven campuses offer a voluntary insurance plan. Click here for more information.
Immunization Compliance: Eligible students are required to comply with state law and provide proof of their immunity for specified vaccine preventable diseases. Click here for more information.
After-Hours/Off Campus Resources:
Health Resources –
- 911 - Medical Emergencies (Dials public safety from a universtiy landline)
- Maine Medical Center: 207-662-0111(Portland)
- Brighton First Care: 207-662-0111 (Portland)
- Northern Light Mercy Hospital: 207-879-3000 (Portland)
- Mercy Gorham Crossing Express Care: 207-839-9101 (Gorham)
- Central Maine Healthcare: 207-795-2870 (Lewiston)
- St Mary’s Urgent Care: 207-330-3900 (Lewiston)
- ConvenientMD Urgent Care: 207-517-3838 (Portland) 207-517-3800 (Westbrook)
- Concentra Urgent Care: 207-784-1680 (Lewiston)
- Planned Parenthood: 207-797-8881 (Portland)
- Portland STD Clinic/PrEP Program: 207-874-8446 (Portland)
- Greater Portland Health: 207-874-2141 (Portland)
Mental Health Resources –
- 988 - Emergency, Crisis and Suicide Prevention Hotline
- Opportunity Alliance Crisis Services: (207)774-HELP / (207)774-4357 (Cumberland County)
- Tri-County Mental Health Services: (888)304-HOPE / (888)304-4673 (Androscoggin County)
- Maine Statewide Crisis Line: (888)568-1112
- Sexual Assault Response Services of Southern Maine: (800)871-7741 (Portland)
- Through These Doors (Family Crisis Services/Intimate Partner and/or Domestic Violence): (800)537-6066
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline [services for deaf/HOH]: (800)273-TALK / (800)273-8255 / Text: 741741
- Trevor Project (LGBTQIA+ Crisis Hotline): (866)488-7386 / Text: 678678
- Blackline (BIPOC Crisis Line/Peer Support): (800)604-5841