At University Health & Counseling Services (UHCS), we are committed to keeping our students healthy and safe. We understand that this contributes to a student’s academic success and overall well-being.
- For a health-related emergency, dial 911
- For a mental health crisis, dial 1-888-568-1112
- For USM Public Safety, dial (207) 780-5211
Health Services Description: Click here for more information.
Counseling Services Description: Click here for more information.
Privacy: Your visits to us are private and confidential. None of your health or counseling information will be shared or your records released without your written consent except as required/allowed by law.
Student Health Fee: All students taking 6 or more credit hours will be charged an $80 health fee for each fall and spring semester. The health fee is not a user fee but rather contributes towards the full array of services offered to the campus community by UHCS. These services include but are not limited to counseling sessions, participation in support groups, classroom presentations, large scale clinics (flu, sports physicals, etc), health promotion events and campus outreach efforts.
Billing and Insurance:
- Students coming in for health as well as mental health-related visits will be asked to provide us with a copy of their health insurance card. Insurance will be billed for each clinical appointment. Students who have no insurance will not be denied services. Health & Counseling Services offers a reduced payment or free care option for students who qualify. Click here for more information.
- Students being seen by our contracted psychiatry practice for psychiatric evaluation and medication management will be charged a one-time $30 fee that can be paid by cash, check or on-line. Click here for more information.
Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP): The University of Maine System’s seven campuses require proof of insurance as a condition of enrollment for eligible students. Click here for more information.
Immunization Compliance: Eligible students are required to comply with state law and provide proof of their immunity for specified vaccine preventable diseases. Click here for more information.
After-Hours/Off Campus Resources:
Health Resources –
- Maine Medical Center: 207-662-0111(Portland)
- Brighton First Care: 207-662-0111 (Portland)
- Northern Light Mercy Hospital: 207-879-3000 (Portland)
- Mercy Gorham Crossing Express Care: 207-839-9101 (Gorham)
- Central Maine Healthcare: 207-795-2870 (Lewiston)
- St Mary’s Urgent Care: 207-330-3900 (Lewiston)
- ConvenientMD Urgent Care: 207-517-3838 (Portland) 207-517-3800 (Westbrook)
- Concentra Urgent Care: 207-784-1680 (Lewiston)
- Planned Parenthood: 207-797-8881 (Portland)
- Portland STD Clinic/PrEP Program: 207-874-8446 (Portland)
- Greater Portland Health: 207-874-2141 (Portland)
Mental Health Resources –
- Opportunity Alliance Crisis Services: 207-774-HELP (4357) (Cumberland County)
- Tri-County Mental Health Services: 1-888-304-HOPE (4673) (Androscoggin County)
- Maine Statewide Crisis Line: 1-888-568-1112
- Sexual Assault Response Services: 1-800-313-9900 (Portland)
- Through These Doors (Family Crisis Services): 207-874-8512 (Portland)
- Crossroads: 207-773-9931 (Scarborough)