Expanding upon the USM Promise Scholarship program model, the Boulos Veterans Promise Completion Scholarship was created through a $500,000 gift from Joe and Sheri Boulos of Falmouth. The USM Promise Scholarship program is designed to help students, often the first in their families to attend college, overcome barriers to completing a degree, while also helping students graduate with little or no debt. This fund focuses on helping veterans overcome hurdles to earning their degree and brings together both financial and academic resources for veteran scholars, coordinated through the USM Promise Scholarship program. Mr. Boulos served our country as a Marine Corps pilot in Vietnam. He is an American success story. Mr. and Mrs. Boulos have shown a deep commitment to higher education, veterans and mental health issues in Maine.
- Meet one of the following criteria (listed in order of preference):
- USM Veteran with a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA with demonstrated financial need, who has exhausted benefits and is within 30 credits of degree completion (or)
- USM Veteran with four (4) or more years of service; has some college experience, but no previously earned bachelor’s degree; and has limited benefits remaining from the GI Bill (or)
- USM Veteran who received honorable discharge (determined by producing the DD-214 form)
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of a 2.5 at the time of the application
- Preference for full-time students, within one academic year of degree completion
How to Apply
All applications and supplemental materials should be submitted electronically to: email@example.com. Any questions related to the application process should be directed to the Promise Scholarship Program Coordinator at the email listed above or call 207-780-4199.
Applicants should submit the following:
• Completed and signed application form
• FAFSA form (if eligible)
• VA documentation as required
How to Renew
As a Boulos Promise Scholar, applicant agrees to:
- Participate in related program events, services and workshops
- Maintain a grade point average of 2.5 GPA through graduation.
- Enroll full-time at USM with 15 credits per semester or a total of 30 credits per year (or as needed to reach degree completion).