- Awarded to first-year students based on academic achievement, demonstrated leadership skills, or other criteria.
- Annual Award:
- In State $3,000
- Out of State $10,000
- First-year student merit scholarships are awarded up to 4 years with full-time enrollment (15 credit hours per semester).
- Students whose GPA falls between 3.0 – 3.49 at the time of admission could be eligible for this award.
- The University of Southern Maine uses a 4.0 scale to determine scholarship eligibility. If a student's GPA is not on a 4.0 scale we will convert it using the specific schools profile.
- Students must complete a USM application. Including the submission of their official high school transcript.
- Students must take a minimum of 12 credits during Fall and Spring semesters.
- For continued eligibility, students must also complete 30 credits per academic year (including summer, fall, winter, spring terms). A typical course load consists of 15 credits.
- Students who have already earned a bachelors degree by the time they start courses at USM are not eligible for merit scholarships.
How to Apply
All qualified incoming first-year students who complete a USM application — including your official high school transcript, letter of recommendation, and completed personal statement (essay) — will be automatically considered.
How to Renew
- Maintain full-time enrollment (minimum 12 credits Fall and Spring semesters) and a 2.5 GPA.
- Students must successfully complete a minimum of 12 credits per Fall and Spring semester and 30 credits per academic year (including summer, fall, winter, spring terms).
Questions on renewal should be directed to Nancy Varin via email or call 207-780-5330.