- Awarded to first-year students based on academic achievement, demonstrated leadership skills, or other criteria.
- Annual Award:
- In State $2,000
- Out of State $10,000
- First-year student merit scholarships are awarded up to 4 years with full-time enrollment (15 credit hours per semester recommended).
- Students whose GPA falls between 3.0 – 3.49 at the time of admission could be eligible for this award.
- The University of Southern Maine uses a 4.0 scale to determine scholarship eligibility. If a student's GPA is not on a 4.0 scale we will convert it using the specific schools profile.
- Students must complete a USM application. Including the submission of their official high school transcript.
- Students must take a minimum of 12 credits during Fall and Spring semesters.
- Students who have already earned a bachelors degree by the time they start courses at USM are not eligible for merit scholarships.
How to Apply
All qualified incoming first-year students who complete a USM application — including your official high school transcript, letter of recommendation, and completed personal statement (essay) — will be automatically considered.
How to Renew
- Maintain full-time enrollment (minimum 12 credits Fall and Spring semesters) and a 2.0 GPA.
- Awards to first-year students can be used for a maximum of eight (8) semesters within a period of five (5) years, commencing with the term of initial enrollment.
Questions on renewal should be directed to Nancy Varin via email or call 207-780-5330.