In recognition of the strong connections with our neighbors in the mountain states of New Hampshire and Vermont, the University of Southern Maine is pleased to offer the Mountains to the Sea Scholarship. From the White and Green mountains to the west, to the ocean waters of Casco Bay in Portland, Maine, USM is proud to offer academic excellence and unmatched affordability to students across the region.
Annual Award: $2,000 – $4,000
- Students must meet admission criteria and be residents of New Hampshire or Vermont.
- Students must apply for financial aid and attend full-time in order to receive this scholarship.
- The priority application deadline for the scholarship is April 1st.
- This award cannot be combined with other Merit Scholarships. Students from VT and NH can only receive one non-need-based scholarship from USM.
- Students must enroll full time in 12 credits per fall and spring semesters.
- Students who have already obtained a bachelor's degree are not eligible for this award.
- Students who are receiving E-tuition are not eligible for this award.
How to Apply
All qualified incoming students who complete a USM application — including your official high school transcript, letter of recommendation, and completed personal statement (essay) — and submit the FAFSA will be automatically considered.
How to Renew
- Continued enrollment in 12 credits per fall and spring semesters and a 2.0 GPA.
- Awards to first-year students can be used for a maximum of eight (8) semesters within a period of five (5) years, commencing with the term of initial enrollment.
- Awards to transfer students with 30 or more transferrable credits can be used for a maximum of six (6) semesters within a period of four (4) years, commencing with the term of initial enrollment.
- Awards to transfer students with fewer than 30 transferrable credits can be used for a maximum of eight (8) semesters within a period of five (5) years, commencing with the term of initial enrollment.