University Health and Counseling Services

Immunization Information

The Maine Post-Secondary School Immunization Law requires that students show proof of receiving the following immunizations to be able to register for classes.

 ·         One dose of Tetanus/Diphtheria (TD) or Tetanus/ Diphtheria/ Pertussis (Tdap) within the last 10 years.

 ·         Two doses of Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) given after (not on) first birthday and given after December 31, 1956.

 The university needs a signed or stamped record of these immunizations from your high school, college, military base or private health care provider.

These records must be received before attending USM activities or classes.  If they are not received prior to October 1st an academic hold will be placed on your student account and you will not be able to register for spring courses until the records are submitted in full.  If you do not have access to these records you have a couple options.  

1. Receive new Tetanus shot and MMR shots from your doctor or here at Health and Counseling Services on the Gorham campus.  

2. Receive a new Tetanus shot and have a titer blood draw to prove immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella from your doctor or here at Health and Counseling Services on the Gorham campus.


If you were born prior to December 31, 1956 you do not ned to submit these records.

If you are an online student who will only be taking online courses during your academic career.

If you have not been vaccinated and therefore can not provide proof of immunizations due to moral, political or religious beliefs.  

You may download our "Objection Letter" if you never had these immunizations because of sincere religious belief or philosophical reason.
You may also download the USM "Immunization Form". You can bring this form to your provider, have them fill it out, sign, and then fax to the sharing processing center.  Both of these forms can also be found on our forms page under quick links.

Please be aware that students who choose one of these exemptions to not provide proof of immunity will be excluded from attending classes or participating in campus activities during the duration of an outbreak of measles, mumps, rubella, or diphtheria occurs.

Beginning now  documentation of these immunization records  should  be sent to the Shared processing Center at:

Immunization Records

Shared Processing Center

PO Box 412

Bangor, ME 04402-0412

Or fax to:  207-561-3430



If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office at