Our Accelerated Graduate Pathways offer undergraduate students the opportunity to begin graduate study while completing their bachelor’s degree. You can read our Overview of Accelerated Graduate Pathways for more information, and browse the list of frequently asked questions below.

Accelerated Graduate Pathways are for highly motivated students who want to begin graduate study during their final year of undergraduate study. If you know what graduate degree you want to pursue, and you’re ready for a rigorous course of study, an Accelerated Graduate Pathway will set you on the course to save time and money while earning two degrees.

If you’re a prospective student:

  • The following Accelerated Graduate Pathways allow you to select the pathway when you apply to the University of Southern Maine:
    • Athletic Training (MS)
    • Law (JD)
    • Leadership Studies (MA)
    • Occupational Therapy (MOT)
    • Policy, Planning, and Management (MPPM)
    • Social Work (MSW)
    • Statistics (MA)
    • University of Maine: Business Administration (MaineMBA)
  • The following Accelerated Graduate Pathways can be declared once you’ve enrolled at the University. When you meet with your Academic Advisor, let them know that you’re interested in an Accelerated Graduate Pathway.
    • Counseling (MS)
    • Education:
      • Teacher Education — Extended Teacher Education Program (ETEP) (MS)
      • Special Education (MS)
    • University of Maine System (UMS) Pathway: History (MA)

If you’re a current student at the University: Contact your Academic Advisor to get started. They’ll help to assess options based on your current and past coursework.

Yes, part-time students may enroll in an Accelerated Graduate Pathway. Please contact our Advising Office to meet with an Academic Advisor who can review your coursework and determine your eligibility for entering an Accelerated Graduate Pathway.

If you’re applying to transfer to USM, please contact our Office of Admissions. An Admissions counselor will review your previous coursework and determine your eligibility for selecting an Accelerated Graduate Pathway.

Yes, you must declare a major in order to enroll in an Accelerated Graduate Pathway. If you are undeclared, contact your Academic Advisor. Your advisor will get you started with the process to declare your major.

If the graduate degree you’re interested in doesn’t have an Accelerated Graduate Pathway, there are still ways you can prepare for a graduate program that can help ensure you take the right courses and thus save time — and frustration — in the future. Your Academic Advisor can suggest appropriate courses to prepare you for your future graduate studies.

Your Academic Advisor is listed in your MaineStreet Student Center (login required).