Updated August 29, 2023
The Form I-9 is a federally required document used to verify employment eligibility of new hires.
There are two sections of the I-9:
- Section 1 is completed by the new hire on or before their first day of employment. Please consider completing section 1 of the I-9 online via Employee Self-Service prior to your first day of employment.
- Section 2 is completed by the employer (a trained University official, e.g. Human Resources or Campus Student Employment officer) within three days of the new hire’s start date, and requires the employee to present acceptable documents for I-9 verification.
- Bring with you USCIS Form I-9 Acceptable Documents (unexpired, original ID documents).
- You may complete Section 1 online prior to your arrival. Click here for instructions.
What if the employee is out-of-state or otherwise too far from campus to travel for in-person verification?
There are proxy options we may consider in these circumstances:
- CUPA-HR I-9 Reciprocal Processing Consortium: Most colleges have reciprocal agreements to sign off on I-9s from other colleges. If you have an employee in another state, please reach out to your HR Partner so we may look into this option for you.
- Notary Public: Many notaries are authorized to verify I-9s as authorized representatives. Employees may call their bank to see if a notary public is available and willing to assist.
Still have questions?
Please email us at email@example.com. We look forward to meeting you in person!