| Calling the Sender
Checking and Editing Messages
You can temporarily prevent your callers from leaving messages in your mailbox. You can choose to transfer callers to an operator, or disconnect them. As a courtesy to your callers while message blocking is turned on, you should record a temporary greeting that provides details of your absence and tells callers what to do.
1. Press 8 0 for mailbox options, then 7 for message blocking.
2. Turn message blocking on or off.
3. To turn message blocking on at all times, press 1.
4. To turn message blocking off, press 2.
5. To block your messages when a temporary greeting is in effect, press 3.
After listening to a message, you can automatically place a call to the sender
1. Immediately after listening to the message, press 9.
2. Speak to the sender or leave a message.
3. When you have finished your call, hang up.
You may change your password as many times as you like, provided you do not repeat your most recent ones. Your password may be from 4 to 16 digits in length. Once logged into your mailbox, follow the four steps below.
1. Press 84. Enter your new password, followed by the number sign.
2. Enter your new password again, followed by the number sign.
3. To confirm the change enter your old password, followed by the number sign.
4. Your password has been changed.
Before sending a recorded message, you can check and edit it.
1. Press 2 to play message.
2. To skip back, press 1. To skip forward, press 3.
3. To pause, press #. To continue, press 2.
You can compose a message to one or more people, edit the message, and send it when you are ready.
1. While logged into voicemail, press 75.
2. Enter the mailbox number(s), then press #. When finished with your list press # again.
3. Press 5 to begin recording and # to stop recording.
4. To send the message, press 79.
You can offer callers a choice of leaving a message or speaking to an assistant or colleague.
1. While logged in to voicemail, press 80.
2. Press 1 to change the operator.
3. Enter the new operator's number, then press #.
4. Re-record your greeting and tell callers that they can leave you a message or press 0 to have their call redirected.
|Hello. This is (your name) of the University of Southern Maine. I'm in today, but I am unable to answer my telephone at this time. Please leave your name, number and message after the tone and I will return your call as soon as I can. Or press 0 to have your call transferred to (transferees name).|
A distribution list may be used to send a message to a group instead of sending the same message to each individual separately. After you create a personal distribution list, you can play it to hear all the addresses, add to it, delete it, and search for addresses in the list.
To play, edit, or delete a personal distribution list
1. While logged in to your mailbox, press 8 5, then 5.
2. Enter the distribution list number, then press #. If you don’t remember the number, press * to hear a summary of your personal distribution lists.
To play the contents of the list, press 2.
To add addresses to the list, press 5. Enter each address, then press #. When the list is complete, press #.
To delete the entire list, press 7 6.
You can restore the list by pressing 7 6 immediately after deleting it.
To search for an address in the list so you can add it or delete it, press 6. Enter the address, then press #. If the address is not in the list, you can add it by pressing 5. If the address is in the list, you can delete it by pressing 7 6.
3. When you are finished, press 4 to return to your message.
Express messaging is a method of leaving a message in another voice mailbox without ringing the phone or without dialing into your own voice mail to compose and send a message.
1. Dial the express messaging access number for your location.
4900 Portland & Gorham
2. Enter the mailbox number or extension, followed by the # and begin recording after the tone.
You can forward messages to another user, with or without an introduction.
1. After listening to the message, press 73.
2. Enter the mailbox number of which you want the message to forward to then press #.
3. To record an introduction, press 5 and record your message after the tone or proceed to step #4 if not you do not want to record an introduction.
4. To send the message, press 79.
Logging in means accessing your mailbox so that you can play your messages and use all the other voice mail features. Your password is the same as your extension until you change it. After logging in, the mailbox summary indicates how many new messages you have and if any of them are urgent.
1. Press the message key on your phone or dial the voice mail access number for your location.
Gorham, Portland 4700 (780-4700 from off campus)
Lewiston-Auburn 6699 (753-6699 from off campus)
2. Enter your mailbox number, followed by the # key.
3. Enter your password, followed by the # key.
Always log out of voicemail by entering "83"
You may make a personal recording of your name (and title, if you like) to be used in place of the generic recording when leaving a message in another mailbox.
1. While logged into voicemail, press 8-2-9.
2. Press 5 to record, wait for the tone and record your name and, if you wish, your title and extension number.
3. Press # to end recording.
Your phone may have a message waiting indicator which lights or flashes to indicate new messages, or you may hear a staggered dial tone when you pick up your handset. After logging into your mailbox, listen to the mailbox summary. New messages are played first, followed by all previously played messages, in chronological order.
1. To play a message press 2.
2. To skip back five seconds in the message, press 1.
3. To skip forward five seconds in the message, press 3.
4. To pause, press #. Then to continue, press 2.
5. To go to the next message, press 6.
6. To go to the previous message, press 4.
7. To go to a specific message, press 86, followed by message number, then press #.
8. To delete a message, press 76. Deleted messages are removed permanently when you press 81 or hang up.
9. To restore a deleted message (if you have not pressed 81 or if you have not hung up) press 76.
10. To play the message envelope, press 72.
Callers to your mailbox may hear one of two greetings: an external greeting for callers outside of the university, or an internal greeting for callers within the university. (If only an external greeting is recorded then all callers will hear the same greeting).
1. Log in to your mailbox.
2. Press 82; you will be asked to press 1 for your external greeting or press 2 for your internal greeting. Enter the appropriate number.
3. Press 5; wait for the tone then speak your greeting.
4. When finished, press the number sign to end recording.
5. To check the greeting you just recorded, press 2.
6. If you are not satisfied with you greeting dial 76 to delete it then go back to step 3.
|Hello. This is (your name) of the University of Southern Maine. I'm in today, but I am unable to answer my telephone at this time. Please leave your name, number and message after the tone and I will return your call as soon as I can.|
The temporary greeting feature allows you to put a greeting on your voice mail that overrides both the internal and external greeting for a specific period of time. When setting up a temporary greeting, you can set an expiration date and time. The voice mail system will automatically revert back to the original internal and external greetings.
1. While logged into voice mail, press 82.
2. Press 3 for temporary greeting.
3. To record a greeting, press 5 and record after the tone.
4. Press # to end the recording.
5. To hear the greeting, press 2.
6. To delete the greeting, press 76.
7. To re-record, press 5.
8. Press 9 to set expiry date. The system will prompt you through the process.
The remote call forward feature allows you to call forward your phone from any on-campus telephone to another on-campus phone.
1. Enter the Remote Call Forward Activation Code: *7.
2. Enter Station Control Password for the phone you wish to forward, followed by the main number of the phone to be forwarded. (The Station Control Password is usually the same as the 2nd line number on your phone)
3. Enter the number you wish to forward the phone to, followed by the # key. (You will hear a series of tones indicating the procedure was successful.)
*example: *7, password =2222, main number= 1111, forwarded to = 3333#
1. Enter the remote call forward password deactivate code, press *8.
2. Dial the station control password for the phone, enter the number of the phone. (You will hear a series of tones indicating the procedure was successful.)
*example: *8, password =2222, main number= 1111
1. Enter the verify remote call forward code *9.
2. Enter the station control password for the phone.
3. Enter the number of the phone.
4. Enter the number to which calls should be forwarded.
5. Enter the end of entry digit (#).
If the number to which the phone is forwarding calls does not match your entry in step 4, you will hear a fast busy signal. If the numbers do match, you will hear a special confirmation tone after entering the forwarding number.
1. Remote call forward can be activated off campus by calling (207) 780-4222.
2. Enter password: 4222
3. Then follow steps listed above for Remote Call Forward (On Campus).
You can record a reply to a message sender, and send your reply to all other recipients of the message.
1. Immediately after listening to the message, press 71 to reply to the sender.
2. When you are ready, press 5 to record your reply, listen for the tone and begin recording. End recording by pressing #.
3. Press 79 to send the message.
To send the message to all recipients:
1. Press 72 to play the list of recipients to whom your reply will be sent.
2. Press 74 to reply to all recipients.
3. To record and send your reply, repeat steps 2 to 4.
You can tag a message before sending it.
Acknowledgement: If you tag a message for acknowledgement, you will receive a confirmation message when the recipient plays the message.
Private: If a message is tagged private, the recipient of the message cannot forward it to another voice mailbox.
Standard: All messages are sent as standard unless you indicate a different tagging option. Tags can not be deleted, they can only be changed or set back to standard.
Timed Delivery: Timed delivery messages are sent at a specific time and date.
Urgent: Message is announced as urgent. When the recipient logs into their voice mailbox they will hear "you have one new message, it is urgent".
Changing a Tag: Before sending a message, you can change the message tag or retag it back to standard. At the end of the message, press the corresponding tag option for the change you wish to make.
1. After completing the composing message command (see Composing Messages), press 70 to hear the message tagging menu or press:
701 for Urgent
702 for Standard
704 for Private
705 for Acknowledgement
706 for Timed Delivery
a. Enter the month, day, hours and minutes, following each with by #.
b. For current month, day, or time, press # only.
c. Press 1 for a.m. or 2 for p.m.
2. Press 79 to send the message.
You can complete a second call without hanging up if you are logged in to your mailbox or if you are leaving a message in any mailbox.
1. While logged in to voicemail or after leaving a message, press 0 and dial another 4 digit extension (there is a 2 second window to dial before being transferred to the operator.)
2. Press #
3. To record a greeting, press 5 and record after the tone.
4. Press # to end recording. To hear the greeting, press 2.
5. To delete the greeting, press 76.
6. To rerecord, press 5.
7. Press 9 to set expiry. The voice mail system will prompt you through the process of setting the expiry.