Veterans Services

Request for Certification


A new Certification of Enrollment Request must be submitted each term that you want to use your VA educational benefits.  This certification request should be submitted at least 40 days or more before the start of the term you want certified.  Late submissions or those with inaccurate information may cause a delay in VA benefit payments. 

Students are encouraged to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) BEFORE the term begins The FAFSA should be re-submitted each Februrary. The FAFSA is required for those using the Maine Veterans Dependents Tuition Waiver Program (Chapter 35).

L Grade Policy:

The VA closely monitors students’ grades in classes.  The Registrar’s Office is required to report L grades, which are assigned to students who stop attending a class but don’t formally withdraw, to the Veterans Administration.  This can create an “overpayment” of benefits that the student is required to pay back to the VA.

Before we notify the VA of L grades, we will attempt to get the last date of attendance.

If a student earns L grades, USM will not certify future semesters the student until grades are posted for that semester. If USM has already certified the future semester, it will be de-certified until grades are posted for that semester.

A letter notifying the student that they will not be certified will be sent to the student.


To send this request to the school certifying official, please remember to click the "Submit" button at the end of the webform. Submitting this form does NOT guarantee a VA payment, as the VA determines eligibility and benefits. Also, unsatisfactory attendance or academic progress can make you ineligible for VA benefits.

Multi-Institutional Students: If you are taking courses at another University in addition to attending USM, you must fill out a Multi-Institutional Form. Contact the Coordinator of Veterans Services at 207.780.5232.

Transfer Students: To change from one school or training program to another, individuals receiving benefits under the Chp. 33/33 TOE Post-9/11 GI Bill®, Chp. 30 MGIB, Chp. 1606, or Chp. 1607 will need to submit a VA Form 22-1995 "Request For Change of Program or Place of Training" to the Regional Processing Office serving your state.

Remaining Benefits: You will be asked to access your eBenefits account and indicate how many months/days or credit hours (if Chp. 35) of VA benefits you have remaining. As many Chapter 33 students are reaching the end of their benefit allowance, we are encouraging everyone to be proactive about managing their remaining benefits. This information helps us advise you about the best options to maximize your benefits. 

:  If you have any questions while filling out this request, please call 207.780.5232.

Please DO NOT use your social security number. Your MaineStreet ID number is located in the top right-hand side of your Student Self-Service/Student Center page on MaineStreet. If you are a USM Professional Continuing Education (PCE) student, or you are not sure what your ID number is, please put "9999999."
VA Educational Benefits Information
Select ONE chapter from the list above. If you are not sure what chapter you are, please review your Certificate of Eligibility (COE). If you cannot locate your COE, please contact the VA directly.
Found on your eBenefits account. Access it here: For Chapter 35, please indicate how many credit hours (out of 120 allowable) that you have remaining.
By submitting this form, you are confirming that you understand the USM policy as it relates to "L" grades. If there are any comments you need to add to this certification request, please type them in the "Remarks" box below. PLEASE NOTE: It is the student's responsibility to notify the Coordinator of any changes in their enrollment status, to include Add/Drops or Change in Major.
Please click on the "Submit" button below to finalize your request.