Department of Sociology
News & Events
Opening for Fixed-Length Lecturer in Sociology
Lecturer in Sociology
Department of Criminology, Economics and Sociology
The University of Southern Maine invites applications for a one-year, fixed-length Lecturer position in Sociology to begin September 2016. Applicants must document successful teaching and a commitment to excellence in undergraduate education. The length of the initial appointment will be for one academic year with possibility of an extension for up to two additional years.
The successful candidate will teach four courses per semester, including Introduction to Sociology and upper-division elective courses in the candidate’s area(s) of expertise. Preference will be given to candidates whose courses contribute to Criminology and/or Economics and who have experience teaching Quantitative Research Methods. The successful candidate will be expected to teach on both our Portland and Gorham campuses and online, and to engage in departmental service. The Department of Criminology, Economics and Sociology offers four majors; more information about the Sociology program can be found at https://usm.maine.edu/sociology.
The University of Southern Maine (USM) is Maine’s Metropolitan University, dedicated to providing students with a high-quality, accessible, affordable education. USM’s strategic focus is in alignment with the Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities and we are seeking to become a Carnegie Engaged University by the year 2020. USM offers Baccalaureate, Master's, and Doctoral programs, providing students with rich learning and community engagement opportunities in the arts, humanities, politics, health sciences, business, mass communications, science, engineering, and technology. Further information on USM can be found at www.usm.maine.edu.
USM’s three environmentally friendly campuses are unique, yet all share the extensive resources of the university — and all are energized through strong community partnerships. Offering easy access to Boston, plus the ocean, mountains and forests of coastal, inland and northern Maine, USM is at the heart of Maine's most exciting metropolitan region:
- Our Portland campus is located in "one of America’s most livable cities," according to Forbes magazine, which also ranks Portland among the top 10 for job prospects. A creative and diverse community on Maine’s scenic coast, Portland is nationally known as a "foodie" hot spot!
- USM’s beautiful residential Gorham campus supports and celebrates excellence in academics, athletics, music and the arts and is home to ten Living Learning Communities and six Residential Communities.
- Our Lewiston campus is home to USM’s innovative and richly diverse Lewiston-Auburn College. This Central Maine campus integrates classroom, community and workplace, and provides a small college experience with the resources of a large university.
- ABD in Sociology or closely related field
- PhD in Sociology
Apply online at: https://usm.hiretouch.com/view-all-jobs. You will need to create an applicant profile and complete an application (which includes contact information for three professional references). You will need to upload a cover letter, a resume/curriculum vitae which fully describes your qualifications and experiences with specific reference to the required and preferred qualifications. You will also need to complete the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status form.
Review of applications will begin immediately. To ensure full consideration, materials should be submitted by May 1, 2016. Materials received on or after that date will be considered at the discretion of the university. We are not able to consider applicants who require Visa sponsorship support.
USM is an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.Learn More
Sociology Majors Resources
University and College Resources
- Tracking Sheet for Sociology Majors (a copy of this form is kept in your advising folder)
- Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Requirements and Application
- Independent Study Guidelines
- Independent Study Proposal Form
- Sociology Course Evaluation Form