Some F-1 students bring their families with them to the United States during their studies. The F-2 visa is for a dependent spouse or an unmarried child who is under the age of 21. F-2 status enables dependents to stay in the United States during the duration of the F-1 student’s program.
F-1 students must prove that they have financial support to fund their dependents in F-2 status. USM requires the following amount of financial support:
- $1000/month for the first dependent
- $500/month for each additional dependent
The following limitations on work and study apply to all F-2 visa holders:
- An F-2 spouse or child cannot work in the U.S.
- F-2 children may attend school (K-12) full time
- At the post secondary/vocational level of study F-2 children and/or spouses may only study on a part time basis.
- For either the F-2 spouse or child study that is “avocational or recreational in nature” is permitted “up to and including on a full-time basis.