The U.S. Department of State authorizes the Office of International Programs (OIP) to issue and maintain the J-1 immigration record for eligible foreign visitors on behalf of USM. OIP is the only office at USM that can issue or make any changes to these records. If you are considering inviting a visiting professor, research scholar or short term scholar please review the procedures below. All required documentation must be received by the OIP at least 3 months in advance of the requested start date.
Before inviting a visiting scholar be sure you familiarize yourself with your role as the hosting faculty/department.
- Completed International Visitor’s Data Sheet (under construction)
- Copy of the invitation letter from the hosting department dean. This letter should include any terms of payment. If USM is not providing any funding for the visiting scholar this should also be stated in the letter.
- Visitor’s CV
- A copy of the biographical page of the visitor’s passport
- Proof of English proficiency
- Documentation of sufficient funding
- Mandatory health insurance
- Dependent information (if relevant)
Federal law requires that all sponsoring units have plans in place to offer cross-cultural exchange opportunities to J-1 exchange visitors and their J-2 dependents. The Office of International Programs must collect this information and submit it to the Department of State on an annual basis.
If you are intending to pay the visiting scholar or provide them with an honorarium please be sure to review the rules well in advance and work with HR and payroll as appropriate.