ALL International students and scholars on F-1, F-2, J-1 or J-2 visas who were in the U.S. during 2022 must file an annual federal tax return, even if you did not earn any income. 

Which tax forms do I use?

  • If you received no U.S. income in 2022 and are a non-resident for tax purposes you will file Form 8843
  • If you received wages or a taxable scholarship and are a non-resident you will file Form 8843 AND Form 1040NR by April 15, 2023. (1040NR Instructions)
  • Tax Forms will be available in mid January of 2023 and will be linked to this page.

How can I get help with filing my taxes?

If you need help filing your taxes (our office cannot offer tax assistance) we recommend that you use Sprintax Tax which is tax preparation software designed for international students (similar to Turbo Tax).  There is a charge to use their service, but they are the experts in non resident tax returns so we highly recommend them especially if you are completing form 1040NR (which can be a bit complicated).

How do I use Sprintax?

It’s easy. Just visit the Sprintax website and create an account if you are a first time user or log in if you used it last year. Enter your information and it will help walk you through the return process step by step.

You MUST PRINT out your tax return and mail it. You cannot submit it electronically (be sure to save a copy for your records.) Sprintax will provide detailed instructions on how to file your tax form.

If you are only filing Form 8843 beause you earned no income we recommend you use the simple paper form rather than paying for Sprintax. It’s a farily easy form. No SSN needed. Be sure to save a coy for your records.

Where else can I get tax help?

Internal Revenue Service Location  
440 Western Ave, South Portland, ME 04106
(844) 545-5640
Hours of OperationMonday- Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM

H&R Block
252 St. John Street, Portland, ME 04102  207-773-0221
Staff members specializing in non-resident tax returns are available.
Hours vary. Please call prior to visiting to make an appointment. 

What documents do I need to file my taxes?

  • Your Passport
  • Form I-20 (F-1) or Form DS2019 (J-1)
  • Social Security Number or Individual Tax Identification Number (if you have been assigned one)
  • US entry & exit dates for current and all past visits- you may be able to get travel history from Customs & Border Protection website but keep in mind it is not always accurate.
  • W-2–  Employers are required to withhold a portion of each employee’s salary and pay an estimated tax to the U.S. government.  At the end of each year, all employers report to the IRS and to the employee the actual wages earned and the federal tax payments that have been paid.  The employer’s report to employees is called the W-2.  The University of Maine Payroll Office will send W-2s to all those who have earned wages from the University by the end of January for the previous year.  If you earned money from an off-campus company during an authorized internship or training program you should also receive a W-2 form this employer.
  • 1042-S-  This form- will be sent by mid-March to recipients of taxable scholarships and to individuals who qualify for exemptions under a tax treaty.

What do I not need?

You may receive a form 1098-T notification in Maine Street. This form is used to claim the Hope Scholarship & Lifetime Learning Tax Credits. International students & scholars on F-1 or J-1 visas are NOT eligible for either the Hope Scholarship or Lifetime Learning Credit.