We are dedicated to promoting equity and excellence in education for all of Maine’s K-12 students. Our graduates develop skills for engaging diverse learners while meeting the rigorous standards of the modern classroom.
We pair an intensive student-teaching internship with evidence-based professional knowledge, ensuring that our students have a highly-practical, authentic, and well-supported educational experience.
As the field of teaching techniques and standards evolves, we are proactive and responsive to addressing mandates and trends.
The benefits to our Teacher Education program options:
- Experience in the classroom: You’ll gain more classroom experience here than any other teacher preparation program in the state of Maine. Undergraduate field experiences begin with classroom observation during your first year and continue throughout your program. Our culminating student-teaching internship for undergraduate and graduate students is a year-long experience that provides supported, hands-on classroom experience in two different grade levels.
- Cohort-based learning communities: During your internship year, your courses are arranged by cohort. This means that you and a group of approximately 20 fellow students will work in the same school district and study together.
- Dedicated Faculty: You’ll study with faculty who have extensive experience as practicing educators in K-12 schools. Our faculty are deeply invested in student success — they coordinate student-teaching internships, guide progress toward teaching standards, and support professional development and career planning.
- A Deep History of Teacher Education: The University of Southern Maine’s (USM’s) reputation for excellence in education programs was established with the founding of our original predecessor institution, the Gorham Normal School, in 1878.
- National Accreditation and State Approval: The University’s educator preparation programs are nationally accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Accreditation through CAEP certifies that our students gain expertise in the curriculum they’ll teach and that upon program completion, they enter the classroom as effective educators.
- Strong Learning Outcomes: Upon graduation, our students must meet the Maine Department of Education and InTASC (Interstate Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium) Model Core Teaching Standards. Our Learning Outcomes are aligned with these standards.
- A Community of Excellence: Our alumni have been nationally recognized with the Presidential Award for Excellence as well as the National Educator Award, and many have earned National Board Teacher Certification. They are frequently nominated for Maine Teacher of the Year, and many go on to serve in K-12 leadership roles.
- Expanded Career Options: You’ll be qualified for a wide range of employment opportunities upon graduation, including careers within and outside the field of education.