Navigating life after service can be challenging, and help is out there! Whether you’re looking for an academic tutor, a fishing license, or a home loan, there are people whose job it is to help you get what you need. We’ve compiled a list of resources that you may find helpful specifically as a student veteran, service member, or dependent at the University of Southern Maine.

On Campus

Academic and mental health supports—and great fitness facilities—are available to you on campus! For a specific list of services provided by our office, check out what we do.

If you have a disability that affects your school experience, get connected with Disability Services early! They can help you identify helpful accommodations and work with faculty to ensure that you have the tools you need to learn. Even if you’re not sure, it’s worth checking out Disability Services.

The Learning Commons offers subject-based tutoring as well as academic coaching, technology assistance, and research guidance, as well as group study spaces and community computers. If you’re struggling in a class, reach out early to find out what the Learning Commons has to offer!

Counseling Services offers one-to-one counseling and specific groups, as well as mental health resources and programming throughout the school year. Visit their page to learn more about Counseling Services.

The Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) office helps USM students earn credit for college-level learning through work and life experience. For many military service members, demonstrating this prior learning could save you time and money as you earn your degree. If you have previous experience, check out the Credit for Prior Learning office.

Join group fitness Power Hours, drop in on a game of basketball, or use the brand new equipment in the gym on our Portland Campus! There’s always something going on, so check out this semester’s offerings at the Sullivan Complex.

Join group fitness classes like yoga or boot camp, move your workouts forward with a personal trainer, or just hit the gym! Located on our Gorham campus, there are lots of ways to move at the Costello Sports Complex.

VA and State

Employment, housing assistance, medical and mental health support, and education opportunities are some of the many services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Maine Bureau of Veterans Services.

Vet Centers are community-based counseling centers that provide a wide range of social and psychological services, including professional counseling to eligible veterans, service members (including National Guard and Reservists), and their families. The centers offer individual, group, marriage and family counseling, and counselors and outreach staff are often veterans themselves. Find a Vet Center near you or contact Portland Vet Center Outreach Coordinator Mark Lionetti at

The Maine Bureau of Veterans’ Services (MBVS) offers a hub for programs across the state that bolster employment opportunities, improve access to education opportunities, reduce homelessness, enhance mental health programs and honor our veterans’ remarkable legacy of service. Find out more on the Maine Bureau of Veterans’ Services website.

Togus VA Medical Center provides primary care and specialty health services, including mental health services, long-term nursing care, treatment for spinal cord injuries, and more. To make an appointment, find a VA clinic near you.

Maine veterans are entitled to many free or discounted outdoor, fishing, hunting, and athletic programs through the State of Maine. Find out how to get your recreational licenses.

Community, Career, and Business

Organizations throughout the state and country make it their mission to support veterans in a variety of ways. Read on to learn about local and national supports for housing, employment, and legal assistance.

There’s no shame in getting the support you need to have safe housing. Preble Street Veterans Housing Services (VHS) assists veterans and their families in finding and maintaining stable housing and works to end homelessness among veterans throughout Maine. Their team covers all 16 counties and has offices in Portland, Lewiston, and Bangor. If you are a veteran in need of housing support, call the VHS referral line at 207-956-6556 or go to the Preble Street VHS website.

Maine CareerCenter offers specialized employment and training services for veterans. If you served in the U.S. Armed Forces. A CareerCenter representative can help you find a job, obtain new skills, or access other state or federal resources available to veterans. Learn more about what the Maine CareerCenter does for veterans.

Pine Tree Legal Assistance is committed to making sure that Mainers who have military experience are aware of the laws that protect them and the resources available to help. Learn more about veteran- and military-specific legal support.

A VA home loan is a government-backed mortgage that helps qualified Veterans, service members, surviving spouses and select others purchase, refinance and retrofit homes. The federal government created the VA home loan program to make homebuying easier for those who serve our country. Learn more about VA home loans.

Paralyzed Veterans of America helps paralyzed and disabled Veterans regain their independence after injury or diagnosis. Find out more on the Paralyzed Veterans of America website.

DAV is a nonprofit charity that provides support for veterans and their families, providing rides to medical appointments, assistance with filing disability claims, and more at no cost. Find out more on the DAV website.