J-1 scholars may request J-2 documents if they would like for a dependent(s) to accompany them to the U.S.. For immigration purposes dependents are defined as:

  • Spouse (*In order for same-sex spouses to be eligible for J-2 status, the marriage must be recognized in the place of celebration.)
  • Unmarried, minor children under the age of 21

Other family members (parents, siblings) are not eligible for a J-2 dependent visa. Housekeepers and child care provider are also not eligible for J-2 visas.

In order to request a J-2 Form DS-2019, the J-1 scholar must submit the following documentation to the Office of International Programs:

  • Proof of financial resources to support the living expenses of each individual dependent
    • $1000 USD per month for the first dependent
    • $500 USD per month for each additional dependent
  • Copy of passport biographical page for each individual dependent.
  • Family name in passport
  • Given name in passport
  • City of Birth
  • Country of Birth
  • Country of Citizenship
  • Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy)
  • Copy of Marriage Certificate with English translation (for J-2 spouse).
  • Birth certificate or adoption certificate listing you as the parent/legal guardian of child

Each J-2 dependent must carry the same level of health insurance as the J-1 scholar.

The following restrictions apply to J-2 visa holders:

  • May enter the US with or after the J-1 student/scholar but not before.
  • J-2’s can apply for work permission from USCIS as long as the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1.
  • Must have their DS-2019 form each time they travel outside the US.
  • May study full or part-time.
  • Can only remain in J-2 status as long as the J-1 maintains his/her status.