Below are the steps to completing the on campus work authorization process for international students.

  • Finding an on campus job can be challenging. You must find a job that can pay you with Departmental Funds. International students do not have work-study.
  • International students are limited to working 20 hours per week when school is in session
  • International students can work full time during the summer & winter breaks.
  • Once you have a job, obtain a letter from your on campus employer verifying the details of your position. It must include the job start date, anticipated number of hours per week and the types of tasks you will be doing.
  • We will provide you with a work authorization letter that you will need to apply for a SSN.
  • We will review instructions on how to apply for a Social Security Number as well as what documentation you will need to bring with you.
  • If you do not have a Social Security Number you MUST apply for one in order to work.
  • You must wait a minimum of 10 days after your arrival in the US before you can apply. You must also be registered in SEVIS (You can ask Kimberly or Kaoru if you have been registered in SEVIS)
  • You are NOT eligible for a Social Security Number unless you have a job or a Graduate Assistantship.
  • You cannot apply for a SSN until at least the first day you are expected to begin working.
  • When you go to the Social Security Office you must bring the following items: (1) Your I-20 or DS-2019, (2) your passport, (3) a copy of your I-94, (4) the work authorization letter you received from the International Office and (5) the hire letter you received from the on campus department where you will be working.
  • The Social Security Office is located at 1355 Congress Street, 2nd Floor, Portland. They are open M-F from 9 am to 4 pm. Phone Number: 1-877-319-3076
  • BE SURE TO ASK FOR A RECEIPT when you apply for your Social Security card.
  • Once you have applied for your SSN and have your receipt please contact Kaoru in the International Office. She will schedule a time for you to complete your payroll paperwork.
  • When you meet with Kaoru to fill out your paperwork you will need to have the following: (1) your receipt from the SS Office, (2) your I-20 or DS-2019, (3) your passport with your student visa stamp and (4) your I-94.
  • Once you have completed your payroll paperwork you must be sure to complete a work authorization form with your job supervisor.

Remember to be careful of your time. You are limited to 20 hours per week when school is in session. You can work full time during the summer or during the break between fall and spring.

Working more than 20 hours per week is a serious violation of your status and can result in negative consequences.